Need help on updating SAT NAV NTG5.5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oonup

Car
C220d W205 FL
Hi, I've been trying to get it to work for a few days but still no luck;

I have the C220d (W205 FL), checked the VIN, it has both;
355PREINSTALLATION FOR NAVIGATION RETROFITTING
506AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION-CAPABLE NTG 5.5

Currently, I've been using the "SD Card for Navigation 2019" V2.5 Map3.1, but I'm trying to update it to the latest version, according to the "COMAND Download Manager", it's V12 with a huge 23.22GB files

I successfully downloaded and copied the file into USB stick (NTFS), the files on the USB stick looks like this

NTG.JPG

then I put the USB to my car.. nothing happened..... tried both slots (as I read, it should have some kind of pop-up or notification to update the system)

Not sure which part went wrong, or my car system simply doesn't support the USB update like other NTG5.5?

I'm willing to get the Code (PIN) from dealer but I don't even see any pop-up to enter the Code

any advice, please?

I think what you have downloaded is the map data for comand navigation but you have audio 20, I think you need to buy an updated sd card with the new maps for audio 20. I think the maps are garmin but I stand to be corrected.

What you likely have is Audio20 with Garmin Map Pilot navigation on SD-Card. So ignore anything that says 'COMAND'.

You can use the MB Download Manager for Garmin to update the navigation software on the SD-Card, but not the maps data.

If you want to update the maps data, you'll need to buy a new SD-Card (which will also have the newer navigation software).

(For the first 3 years you can get free maps update online from MB, but not after).

EDIT: to clarify, COMAND NTG5.5 and Audio20 NTG5.5 are two very different systems, in spite of the similarity in the name.

thank you for your clarification, I was misled to believe the NTG5.5 were just all the same, didn't realise it has to do with Audio 20 as well.

I tried to update the map in old SD Card with "Mercedes SD Card Navigation" software, but it said my current map (from 2019) is still up-to-date, quite strange, isn't it?

it would cost me like 400GBP just to buy a new SD Card here, guess I better stay with Android Auto / CarPlay map then.

thank you so much for your help :)

In the UK there are two variants of the SD-Card.

If the car never had Garmin Map Pilot fitted before, then the SD-Card that is required for first-time activation costs £400.

If the car already Garmin Map Pilot activated, then you can purchase an Updated SD-Card for £100, which will replace the SD-Card currently fitted in the car.

Both types of SD-Cards contain the full software and maps, the difference is only in the licensing.

I have the C220d (W205 FL), checked the VIN, it has both;
355PREINSTALLATION FOR NAVIGATION RETROFITTING
506AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION-CAPABLE NTG 5.5

Also, check if the VIN decoder is showing 3 years free map updates?

It is possible that the download manager is telling you that you are not entitled to a newer version (and not that a newer version does not exist).

Also, check if the VIN decoder is showing 3 years free map updates?

It is possible that the download manager is telling you that you are not entitled to a newer version (and not that a newer version does not exist).
I don't see any 3 years free map updates in the VIN decoder, I bought the SD card map separately with the dealer since 2019.

the software ver. 1.0.11 from here Digital rescue assistants for your Mercedes-Benz.
I tried the Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot software, but my VIN and SD Card were not supported.

this is the actual photo of SD Card
SD card.jpg

I also tried to unzip the .updatedata files from the folders I downloaded from COMAND Download Manager and got the same files and folders existed in the current SD Card but I guess it won't simply work by just replacing the old files in the card with new ones though, LoL

unpack.jpg

As far as I know, a new maps version requires a new SD-Card.

I think that the download manager will only allow you to download updates to the navigation software, and minor updates and corrections to the installed maps.

So what it's probably telling you is that there are no further updates available for the 2019 maps on your SD-Card, i.e. not that a newer map version does not exist.

I think you should simply buy a new SD-Card with 2021 maps. Check again with the dealer - as I said, here in the UK you can buy an Update SD-Card which is much cheaper than the first-time activation SD-Card.

As for replacing the files on the SD-Card... the cards have serial numbers and other elements of copy protection, information on hacking these is probably available elsewhere on the Internet, but won't be discussed here for obvious reasons.

This photo from the Internet is an example of a card that says 'Update':

s-l400.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom