Need Help with buying E class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ReliabilityFirst

Car
E220 CDI
Hello everyone ,

Hoping to get your advice here.
I need help with buying used Merc E class.
Looking into e220 Diesel Automatic , year 2013 / 2014 / 2015

I heard that e class , specificaly OM651 engine ( 2.1 lit diesel) has problems with injektors.

So , my question is ... Are years 2013 and 2014 also affected by this problem? Or did MB solve it after facelift?

Second question would be about general reliability of that car 2013/14/15 E220 cdi with 170hp , automatic transmision. How realiable it realy is ? And are there any major problems I should know about before buying?

Thanks a lot , hope you can help me

Attachments

• leaked-images-of-the-2014-mercedes-benz-e-class_100412685_m.jpg
    leaked-images-of-the-2014-mercedes-benz-e-class_100412685_m.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome.

Regarding the injectors, a vehicle at the age you are considering should have been fitted with the updated Solenoid injectors. These have a different fuel supply pipe and they have a fuel return pipe.

See here: OM651 BlueEfficiency injectors - recall? | Engine

As for reliability, I believe if correctly serviced and looked after the reliability should be good. Mercedes build quality has been variable over the years but they seem to be paying more attention to this now as their rivals have generally improved.

MB automatical transmissions are generally quite reliable (5g, 7g/7g+, 9g).

As long as the ATF and filter where replaced at the right intervals, there shouldn't be a problem.

Only problem i had with my c250 was a dpf sensor , think its quite common tbh as looking at it , it had been changed before I did. Car had 74k on it 15 plate, bullet proof if oils and filters are replaced regularly.

Had mine 3yrs now and apart from general servicing it's been a great car......... only 2 issues I have had is a split boost pipe and a exhaust pressure sensor. The problem with forums is that you only hear the horror story's but there is thousands of cars running around doing big miles with no faults. I am a great believer that if they are serviced regular then they shouldn't go wrong.

I would be worried about NOx sensors failing and emissions cheat software updates hitting fuel economy and blocking DPFs prematurely much more than I would be worried about injectors.
And for that reason if I were buying my car again, I would have gone petrol/gasoline; definitely not diesel.

If you are in Germany , you could walk out your front door and ask the first cab/taxi driver if he has had any problems with his 500,000 km E class :)

If you are in Germany , you could walk out your front door and ask the first cab/taxi driver if he has had any problems with his 500,000 km E class :)
Hi , I live in Portugal (Algarve) for a few months of the year.

All the Mercedes taxis seem to being replaced by Dacia taxis and to a lesser extent Skoda cars.

I have no idea what the Dacia cars are like but if you after a large diesel estate car the Skoda Superb must be worth considering.

My taxi driver buddies in Greece will also tell you how they can put stellar mileage on their Mercs.

You might want to sit down though when they tell you how much they spend annually to keep the cars going.

Then they will tell you why their next car will be a Skoda Superb.

All the Mercedes taxis seem to being replaced by Dacia taxis and to a lesser extent Skoda cars.

I have no idea what the Dacia cars are like but if you after a large diesel estate car the Skoda Superb must be worth considering.
We’ve got a Dacia out in Greece and although we don’t do big miles on it, my daughter will most probably still driving it in 20 years time.

I was answering the OP’s question buddy , hopefully I’ll never have to have a Dacia :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom