Need help with my glass night eyes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianstaley

Banned
Ok so here goes. My W202 Estate was bought a long time ago in Holland by me new, in 1997 to be exact, it has normall (Non HID) lights attached to the front end. Because I imported the car in 2006 (I eventually thought I should stop running on my dutch plates) I didn't have to replace the lights or the speedo cause it was over 10 years old. now I have been told that MB do a replacement glass for the lights, they do come off and can be recliped into place. Anyone got an idea of the price, cause all i get from Das Auto Merk is complete light only???? at anexhorbitant price. But I would like to replce them with a HID conversion. Now I have been told that as the car is OLD, my lights can be converted, but I don't have to comply with the self leveling and cleaning Crap that all you new owners have too.
Does the concensus of opinion out there says AYE get em done or NOO don't go there for leagal MOT reasons. Ian :ban:the government and give the power back to the people :D

I'd just go to a breakers yard and get a pair of headlamps from a RHD W202 that has the correct lenses for this side of the road . Last time I bought a W201 headlamp it cost me £20 from the scrappy for the complete unit , with lens .

You can certainly go to Mercedes or Eurocarparts and get brand new lenses for your existing headlamps but it will cost about the same as going the scrappy route and won't make any practical difference to visibility .

What will make more difference will be getting high efficiency halogen lamps , still of a the same wattage , which do have an improved light output , but still don;t make a HUGE difference .

Oh , also DO check the condition of the REFLECTORS in your headlamps as pitted or tarnished ones can reduce light output noticeably .

Last edited:
This may not answer your question directly, but I am sure you can get cheap second-hand UK spec front headlamps for your 1998 W202?

My Glass

Thanks for the quick reply's guy's, you see that for let's say £20 I can get a right hand drive glass, that's to do. I know that the glass is interchangeable cause i took one of mine out for some reason years ago and it has to be cheaper than the dealer route. My reflectors are perfecto so shouldn't cause any probs with the HID Kit. But if do change to HID I can't keep useing my left hooker glass, I would be blinding every one I met on the road at night. Cheers guy's. just a by the by, I did get a quote about 3 years back, £100.00 plus vat EACH just for the glass!!
Ian :D

Last edited:
ECP are listing two parts at £73 and £39 respectively , genuine Bosch parts - it may be that 202 lenses are more expensive than W201 or W124 parts , or prices may have gone up in the 5 years or so since I last bought one , but still not unreasonable .

LINK

I am confident , though , that you will still buy a complete headlamp from a breaker's yard for £20-£25 or so .

Regarding HIDs, fitting an aftermarket kit that does not replace the lenses, etc is illegal.

Your car will probably still pass an MOT - but you call will still not be "roadworthy". As such, should you have an accident, your insurance company can claim that your car wasn't legal and refuse your claim. Oh, and you would need to declare the modificaiton...
M.

regard glass and hid

okey dokie, thanks for the info, I know that on the mainland (other side of the river) they did offer the w202 estate in 1997 with hid headlights, but as far as i could see the glass was the same. Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom