Need my steering wheel retrimmed

Discussion in 'Interior' started by chriswt, Feb 3, 2008.

1. chriswt

chriswt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
    Guys,

Does anyone know of or has used a good comany that can retrim leather loacated in or around London / South East.

My steering wheel is grey and the previous owners have made the rim so dirty that my hand sticks to the leather which is pretty unpleasant.

Cheers

Chris

2. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    If it's just dirty, then you can clean it.

I use Autoglym, but there are plenty of other leather cleaners out there.

I would try that, because it'd be a lot cheaper than a retrim, and if you need a retrim anyway, then the leather cleaner will still be useful in the future.

PJ

3. Parrotman

Parrotman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Or try Gliptone at www.liquidleather.com/. Am sure they will have a product to possibly make your steering wheel like new.

John

4. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    Or if the worst comes to the worst this company http://www.classical-dash.co.uk/aboutus.html were at the NEC last year and told me they have somebody who leathers wheels. Gliptone stuff is good even if the owner is a t--t.

5. OP
    OP
    chriswt

Car:
    W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
    Thanks for the suggestions but I forgot to say that I've tried cleaning it with Mer leather cleaner (5 star product apparently) and the grim was still there.

In fact its so bad that even 100% concerntrated car cleaning fluid (can't remember what its called but the valeters use it) got rid of the muck but didn't remove the stickiness.

If I clean it any more the colour will come out of the leather as has aready started to happened.

Basically the leather is ruined and needs replacing.

6. gurpz

gurpz Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230K Sport
    Why not take a picture so we can see the extent of the damage.

7. Parrotman

Parrotman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

8. 74merc

74merc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W115 220 S202 C280 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    chriswt, before you retrim it, try scrubbing with an upholstery brush saturated with Autoglym Leather Cleaner. Remove with a damp cloth and when dry, apply some Gliptone leather conditioner. I've done this on a few and they've come up a treat.

9. OP
    OP
    chriswt

Car:
    I tried again last night using a brilo pad and leather cleaner and its very clean but still sticky as hell!! thanks for the suggestion though.

10. Joe_SP

Joe_SP Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 E250 & 1999 M3
    This is probably a stupid suggestion but...

Have you tried a wetwipe? My old golf had lots of sticky hand prints in the back from the previous owners kids, the only thing that worked to remove the sticky residue was the wet wipes.

11. KLP 92

KLP 92 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
    Its not worthwhile retrimming a steering wheel. Most trimmers won't do it, and the ones that do will ask over £200. Its a pig of a job, takes forever to get done perfect. Easier to buy a new one as a retrimmed wheel never feels the same as one originally done.

12. 74merc

74merc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W115 220 S202 C280 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    I think the stickiness might disappear once the leather has dried and conditioner has been applied. I remember this happening when I cleaned the wheel of my 95 coupe. Once the wheel is clean, maintain it by wiping once a week with a wet wipe as suggested. Don't forget the gear knob too!

13. OP
    OP
    chriswt

Car:
    Well I think I'll just keep on cleaning it until I can remove the stickiness, may be the sticky stuff just needs to be drawn out over a period of time.

The baby wet wipes sound like a good idea too.

14. OP
    OP
    chriswt

Car:
    This might just be the ticket then, I think my car as Birdeye trim, it certainly looks grey/black like this steering wheel:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-W208...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

15. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    I am also after a wooden wheel for my CLK, I looked at these, and they are copies (nothing wrong with that, but I would want to see the quality first).

If you get one let me know what you think.

16. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

My wifes Amg A class has a grey half leather type wheel and that was grubby when we got it. I used good old Jiff or is that Ciff now???

Worked a treat :)

[​IMG]

17. KLP 92

KLP 92 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
  18. zibmerc

zibmerc Active Member

Car:
    CLK 320 Elegance W209 2003
    Try this guy Trevor Auto Refurb.
    He did my leather steering wheel and he charged me quite a reasonable price.
    07957 142353

Not sure where you are but if you are somewhere between Heathrow/SW/Surrey/Reading I think he covers these areas.

19. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    Something wrong with that A class you may want to take it up with your dealer as its got three pedals:D

Lynall