Need my steering wheel retrimmed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Guys,

Does anyone know of or has used a good comany that can retrim leather loacated in or around London / South East.

My steering wheel is grey and the previous owners have made the rim so dirty that my hand sticks to the leather which is pretty unpleasant.

Cheers

Chris

If it's just dirty, then you can clean it.

I use Autoglym, but there are plenty of other leather cleaners out there.

I would try that, because it'd be a lot cheaper than a retrim, and if you need a retrim anyway, then the leather cleaner will still be useful in the future.

PJ

Or try Gliptone at www.liquidleather.com/. Am sure they will have a product to possibly make your steering wheel like new.

John

Or try Gliptone at www.liquidleather.com/. Am sure they will have a product to possibly make your steering wheel like new.

John

Thanks for the suggestions but I forgot to say that I've tried cleaning it with Mer leather cleaner (5 star product apparently) and the grim was still there.

In fact its so bad that even 100% concerntrated car cleaning fluid (can't remember what its called but the valeters use it) got rid of the muck but didn't remove the stickiness.

If I clean it any more the colour will come out of the leather as has aready started to happened.

Basically the leather is ruined and needs replacing.

Why not take a picture so we can see the extent of the damage.

chriswt, before you retrim it, try scrubbing with an upholstery brush saturated with Autoglym Leather Cleaner. Remove with a damp cloth and when dry, apply some Gliptone leather conditioner. I've done this on a few and they've come up a treat.

chriswt, before you retrim it, try scrubbing with an upholstery brush saturated with Autoglym Leather Cleaner. Remove with a damp cloth and when dry, apply some Gliptone leather conditioner. I've done this on a few and they've come up a treat.

I tried again last night using a brilo pad and leather cleaner and its very clean but still sticky as hell!! thanks for the suggestion though.

This is probably a stupid suggestion but...

Have you tried a wetwipe? My old golf had lots of sticky hand prints in the back from the previous owners kids, the only thing that worked to remove the sticky residue was the wet wipes.

Its not worthwhile retrimming a steering wheel. Most trimmers won't do it, and the ones that do will ask over £200. Its a pig of a job, takes forever to get done perfect. Easier to buy a new one as a retrimmed wheel never feels the same as one originally done.

I think the stickiness might disappear once the leather has dried and conditioner has been applied. I remember this happening when I cleaned the wheel of my 95 coupe. Once the wheel is clean, maintain it by wiping once a week with a wet wipe as suggested. Don't forget the gear knob too!

I think the stickiness might disappear once the leather has dried and conditioner has been applied. I remember this happening when I cleaned the wheel of my 95 coupe. Once the wheel is clean, maintain it by wiping once a week with a wet wipe as suggested. Don't forget the gear knob too!

Well I think I'll just keep on cleaning it until I can remove the stickiness, may be the sticky stuff just needs to be drawn out over a period of time.

The baby wet wipes sound like a good idea too.

Its not worthwhile retrimming a steering wheel. Most trimmers won't do it, and the ones that do will ask over £200. Its a pig of a job, takes forever to get done perfect. Easier to buy a new one as a retrimmed wheel never feels the same as one originally done.

This might just be the ticket then, I think my car as Birdeye trim, it certainly looks grey/black like this steering wheel:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-W208...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Hello

My wifes Amg A class has a grey half leather type wheel and that was grubby when we got it. I used good old Jiff or is that Ciff now???

Worked a treat :)

IMAG3820.jpg

Try this guy Trevor Auto Refurb.
He did my leather steering wheel and he charged me quite a reasonable price.
07957 142353

Not sure where you are but if you are somewhere between Heathrow/SW/Surrey/Reading I think he covers these areas.

Something wrong with that A class you may want to take it up with your dealer as its got three pedals:D

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom