Need recommendations for a good local welder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
I'm sorry to be starting this thread in the wrong place (i actually couldn't think of where else to put it :p) but i have some welding that i need doing, and i dont want to try doing it myself as its proven to be alot harder than i originally thought.

So as the title states... could anyone point me in the direction of someone who knows how to weld things really well? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Many thanks,

P.S. sorry for posting in the wrong place again!

Well, Ian B Walker is a Lloyds certified welder , but he's a long way away ...

What do you need welding ?

2 things actually, i bought a set of tips that can only be welded onto the backbox, and the backbox came loose (not sure how) from the main pipe leading to the back so i took it off and been driving a REALLY LOUD car since (happened 3 days ago) :)

I'd love to weld it back on though, there's nothing wrong with the box, was as silent as a whisper before.

my exaust broke when i was down south. I drove into many kwik-fit type places and they said they only replace - no welding. COuldnt get the parts anyway for the 124.

so i drove down the road and into a small-time (dare i say it dodgy looking garage!) and they welded for £30.

saved me loads of cash on a new exhaust, saved my bacon really as i planned on driving back to scotland that day with the caravan. He also inspected the rest of the exhaust and told me the cat etc was fine and said it should hold for a long time - took photos of their work so i could see it and did it there and then so i could get back on the road straight away. he added a brace bar on it aswell for extra strength. Just passed the MOT with the repair aswell. 1000 miles on and not noticed anything amiss yet

Unfortunatly, i cant remember the garage name but it was in Wolverhampton so too far from you anyway.

so i'd recommend finding a small back-street garage as they will probably of done these type of repairs often

derek

Last edited:
Rear boxes tend to go at the weld where the connecting pipe enters the box from the centre section-known weak spot for corrosion. I guess they can be repaired but probably best just to buy a new rear box from ECP or GSF. Get a sports model- Remus, Eisenmann http://www.eisenmann.co.uk/ or similar if you want that racy sound but be warned the good quality ones are expensive.

I'd love to have an increase in performance without the crappy manufactured boomy chavy sound (sorry to sound so harsh) :). Was thinking of sourcing a whole new exhaust, the existing system i have on mine is very very restrictive, i've never seen a setup quite like it.

The downpipe comes down, branches off into 2 catalysts (WHY?) and then it carries on to the silencer then to the backbox.

Where are you based Rage ?

There is a garage just down the road from me that does welding ( spit and sawdust type of place ) .... in Hampton ...

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it , but if you are local i can wander down and have a look , you could give them a try ...

Hampton... i work in Hampton wick :), whereabouts exactly? can u remember that? i could have a scout/ask around...

Do you know where Hampton open air pool is ? It's next to that. I had a look , its called J and P motors ... never used them , but they advertise welding on their building.

J and P Motors 126-128 High Street, Hampton, TW12 2ST ,020 8941 9846

Failing that , try B and M motors Hampton ... run by Bruce and Mick , two diamond fellas. I use these guys all the time , they are reasonable , and very good.

B & M Motors. 2, Burtons Rd, Hampton Hill, Hampton, Middlesex TW12 1DA Tel: 020 8943 9535.

I live just down the road from the open air pool ( 1 min ) ....

thanks alot mate, you've been a real gem! i'll look them up asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom