Need some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

unclebuck

Car
CLS 320 /08
I am going to be putting the car up for sale shortly, I want to do the dye on the steering wheel and sealing and also give the engine bay a really good clean as well.

As you all know I have spent a small fortune on the car and all the work needed has been done.

Its in excellent condition and is a pleasure to drive however, I need something more economical now for work as I have to travel a good distance every day back and fore.

What sort of price is sensible to advertise it at? its a 2008 cls 320, since i have had it, it has had everything done, been into merc main dealers and also I have worked on it.
Not going to list everything here, I will do that in the sale thread.

What sort of price should i list it at??? advice from the forum dealers gratefully recieved.

Thanks

UB

I am going to be putting the car up for sale shortly, I want to do the dye on the steering wheel and sealing and also give the engine bay a really good clean as well.

As you all know I have spent a small fortune on the car and all the work needed has been done.

Its in excellent condition and is a pleasure to drive however, I need something more economical now for work as I have to travel a good distance every day back and fore.

What sort of price is sensible to advertise it at? its a 2008 cls 320, since i have had it, it has had everything done, been into merc main dealers and also I have worked on it.
Not going to list everything here, I will do that in the sale thread.

What sort of price should i list it at??? advice from the forum dealers gratefully recieved.

Thanks

UB
What’s the mileage on the old girl buddy ?

You're best option is to have a look on Autotrader and see what comparable models are going for. Prices for cars are very strong at the moment, we cold my other half's CLS350cdi with 85k on the clock back at the start of 2021 for £5,750~.

If you've really taken care of the car and it's wanted for nothing, you need to convey that in the ad and pics as you want it to stand out as a minter. Good luck. :)

I am under no illusion that its only worth what someone will pay for it and I wont get a return on what I have spent on it. Would still be nice to get a good price on it, milage is around 117k.

Are you sure? Given everything that you have done to your car it must be running well and giving 35-45 mpg on a decent run. It should be pretty reliable and depreciation is close to zero - so how much are you going to "save" by buying something that does 50-60mpg? It is not going to take much of a repair or depreciation to wipe out the savings. And you get to drive a nicer car. I'd keep it and get some value out of all the time you've spent on it. If you are still unsure then buy the other car but keep your CLS until you're happy you did the right thing.

I am under no illusion that its only worth what someone will pay for it and I wont get a return on what I have spent on it. Would still be nice to get a good price on it, milage is around 117k.
Are you sure? Given everything that you have done to your car it must be running well and giving 35-45 mpg on a decent run. It should be pretty reliable and depreciation is close to zero - so how much are you going to "save" by buying something that does 50-60mpg? It is not going to take much of a repair or depreciation to wipe out the savings. And you get to drive a nicer car. I'd keep it and get some value out of all the time you've spent on it. If you are still unsure then buy the other car but keep your CLS until you're happy you did the right thing.
Yep it gives excellent mpg now and runs great on a long journey, kick down is smooth and the pull is a big grin factor. There isn't anything to do on the car at all now and the service history/parts etc is massive now, so the next owner would be happy knowing all the work that needed doing and preventative mantainance has been done.

If i get a good offer or I find a good trade in then I would let it go, I am looking for something simple and cheaper to run for the work commute and something i can tinker with occasionally.

Yep it gives excellent mpg now and runs great on a long journey, kick down is smooth and the pull is a big grin factor. There isn't anything to do on the car at all now and the service history/parts etc is massive now, so the next owner would be happy knowing all the work that needed doing and preventative mantainance has been done.

If i get a good offer or I find a good trade in then I would let it go, I am looking for something simple and cheaper to run for the work commute and something i can tinker with occasionally.
The problem is that you are already at the cheap end of the market - whilst the car is undoubtedly nice to a buyer it is a 14 year old car - not new but neither a classic, and 117k miles is not high but it is not super low either. I can't believe there's a huge demand so you're probably going to get offers around the £3k mark - just my guess - at which point I think Ollie is correct - you are better off with the devil you know. And it is not like the fuel economy is dreadful. Here's a thought - maybe you should keep the Merc but STOP tinkering - then it will be cheap to run!!

The problem is that you are already at the cheap end of the market - whilst the car is undoubtedly nice to a buyer it is a 14 year old car - not new but neither a classic, and 117k miles is not high but it is not super low either. I can't believe there's a huge demand so you're probably going to get offers around the £3k mark - just my guess - at which point I think Ollie is correct - you are better off with the devil you know. And it is not like the fuel economy is dreadful. Here's a thought - maybe you should keep the Merc but STOP tinkering - then it will be cheap to run!!
And stop thinking as well as tinkering. Worry about it when you have to.

Can't you get more like 45-50mpg out of that on a 60-70mph cruise? I thought the C219/W211 era OM642s were a bit more economical than the slightly later ones?

Anyway, I think uncle buck showed some interest in selling his car after fixing the oil cooler seals, so I think he's possibly just hankering for something new, which is fair enough!

To answer your question, I had a look on auto trader and it looks like you'd probably list for £4k, they'd offer £3k, and you'd meet somewhere in the middle. Can't imagine what a dealer would offer you for a trade... £2k? Did you try WBAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom