need some winter tyres by thursday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Struggling to find anyone with stock who doesnt want to take me to the cleaners. 225/45/17

I've got to travel though Germany and Austria on Friday and am getting a little concerned.

I'm concerned that the normal online tyre shops wont be able to et the tyres to a local dealer in time... anyone know of a good source that has stock in west London?

My normal tyre guy is saying he's sold all his stock to Polish people driving home for Christmas.

Have you tried e-tyres?
They can usually fit next day if the tyres are in stock.
No winter tyres listed on the web site that size, but I've bought Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes from them. Worth a call anyway. 0800 028 9000

Also, Costco for Michelins

Russ

Last edited:
I've used these people a couple of times, quick, efficient and cheaper than anyone else at the time.

Event tyres

You may be better ringing to make sure you get exactly what you want when you want them.

Have you tried e-tyres?
They can usually fit next day if the tyres are in stock.

That's what they said when we booked, but it actually took 3 days to get a set of Avons (nothing exotic) fitted to our Audi. No complaints apart from that.

It took 4 days when I last used them hence the concern.

You could try these people: http://www.setyres.com/ and: Tyreco trading ltd.
Unit 7, hackhurst lane
hackhurst industrial estate
East Sussex
BN27 4BR

They import winter tyres from Finland, (Nokian) which they quoted me around £40 for similar size tyres. Don't forget on winter tyres you go slightly narrower....

Ciao.

Try my website...possibly the largest Winter tyre stock available anywhere....anything listed is current stock (updated every hour)....3 day delivery nationwide....also, we do not list every single item we have in stock so if not showing on web, call and we can check availability......

Looks like a plenty of tyre for the money Ronnie.

However, my concern is whether the 3 day delivery turns to 4 or 5 days... Its cutting it very fine... can you really guarantee fitment inside 3 days?

I notice there is a Tyre Express depot in Slough (where I work) I guess that makes things slightly easier.

[edit] just looked up EP tyres.. and I'm a little reluctant putting on a snow tyre that was made in Indonesia. Not only am I concerned by the lack of snow in Indonesia, I have had plenty of first hand experiences of how corners are cut at every opportunity in that part of the world. I'll need convincing otherwise. :D

Last edited:
I would recommend the H rated Michelin PRIMACY ALPIN PA3 or the higher V rated PILOT ALPIN widely available -expensive but well worth it. I assume you will have to pass thro France/Belgium/Holland on your way- probably manage to pick em up cheaper over there?

I could pick them up on the way but I've virtually brand new summer tyres fitted at the moment and dont want to bin them.

I've not got the space to swap tyres and take the summer ones with me.

The michelin ones come up as £200 each locally :eek:

OK thinking a bit "off the wall" here Mail/ Courier your old summer tyres back in 2's ( no packaging required just taped together) to your home/works/relatives address by DPD/ UPS/DHL?

As a time scale example I very recently ordered a couple of Michelins from MYTYRES delivered by DPD from Berlin- Picked up there Monday 5pm delivered Wednesday 4pm --you can track em online.

Try my website...possibly the largest Winter tyre stock available anywhere....anything listed is current stock (updated every hour)....3 day delivery nationwide....also, we do not list every single item we have in stock so if not showing on web, call and we can check availability......

I rang them up but they cannot guarantee delivery by friday as all winter tyres have to come from Germany. :eek:

I have always found tyres really expensive in France, needed to buy a new tyre out there twice in the last 4 years and the prices were almost double what they are here.

i dont think you should risk it... go to a discount tyre place and pay a little more than online... its done then and no worries about being stopped or stranded.

Yeah, I thought the same...

I've sourced them now via a local independant tyre shop. A little more expensive than online (£115 each inc for Avon Ice touring) but he'll have them tomorrow.

I'm only bothering with fronts tbh (fwd volvo) to give me braking and traction. If conditions are so bad as to warrant rears, I wont be driving in those conditions anyway, I'd rather wait out the storm.

Two tyres also satisfies the legal requirements in Slovenia and Croatia for a fwd car.

Last edited:
Should make for interesting driving. Take a video camera :D

Yeah, I thought the same...

I'm only bothering with fronts tbh (fwd volvo) to give me braking and traction. If conditions are so bad as to warrant rears, I wont be driving in those conditions anyway, I'd rather wait out the storm.

Two tyres also satisfies the legal requirements in Slovenia and Croatia for a fwd car.

you will end up with a very dangerous set of handling characterisics even on a non snowbound road. The fronts will have a very much greater friction coefficient than the rear. It is the same reason why new tyres should always go on the rear but writ very large indeed.

"With winter tires on the drive axle and all-season or performance tires on the other axle, the vehicle will tend to become unstable and swap ends under some conditions. For example, if the vehicle is front-wheel drive with two winter tires on the front axle, the back end of the car may try to pass the front (spin out) during a braking manoeuvre. This may not be apparent until you have to brake quickly such as during an emergency stop. Then the vehicle spins out exactly when you need the most control. "

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/061004.htm

Please do not do it: fit four

My normal tyre guy is saying he's sold all his stock to Polish people driving home for Christmas.

That's exactly what my tyre bloke said when I got him to fit my winter tyres. Queens Park Tyres 020 8969 4266, just off the Harrow Road in Kensal Rise - worth a try!

The following is from the Michelin web site. It echos the previous points about fitting winter tyres to 4 wheels and not two. You really do not want a big grip difference between the front and rear of the car.

In winter, it is often tempting to fit cold weather tyres only on the drive axle, to improve performance when pulling away. But this is not enough to ensure good performance and optimal safety:
With only 2 cold weather tyres you will not have optimum grip. To ensure that you have maximum control of your vehicle and to guarantee your safety it is advised that you should fit Cold Weather tyres all round.

* with winter tyres fitted only to the front axle, rear grip could be much lower and you risk spinning the vehicle, (for rear wheel drive), or when negotiating bends, (front or rear wheel drive).

* drive with winter tyres fitted on the rear axle only and you could find yourself carrying straight on when you try to take a bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom