need some winter tyres by thursday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like I said a few posts up my friend, there are snow tyres, winter tyres and M&S tyres.

All are designed specifically with cold weather in mind but it seems confusion is ripe in this thread.

These are the tyres fitted to the limo

http://en.sava-tyres.com/vans/trenta_m_s

This symbol
snow_symbol.gif
means 'severe snow conditions' it is not the only mark of a winter tyre.

Sp!ke, don't confuse the performance of any winter tyre or M&S tyre with a cold weather tyre, tyre technology has moved on in the last few years, this describes cold weather tyres on the tyresafe site.............

"One of the most recent tyre developments benefiting motoring safety has been the introduction of cold weather tyres designed to perform more effectively in snow and icy conditions, especially when temperatures fall below 7oC. These tyres should not be confused with the more traditional winter tyre, also known as mud and snow tyres. Cold weather tyres have a different rubber compound which remains more pliant at low temperatures giving them extra grip in cold, wet and icy conditions."

Russ

tyre technology has moved on in the last few years, this describes cold weather tyres on the tyresafe site.............

I wouldn't say recent. Goodyear vectors have been around for over 20 years.

One has to remember that tyre companies exist solely to sell as many tyres as possible.

I'm still unconvinced that 'cold weather' tyres offer any significant advantage in typical south of England winter conditions (i.e. a bit chilly but no actual snow or ice 99% of the time).

If they did then the emergency services, AA, RAC, etc. would all fit them, and AFAIK they don't. In fact any employer who DIDN'T would surely be negligent, if there was a proven safety benefit?

Don't get me wrong, if we drive to the South of Germany in Feb. then I'll be buying winter tyres for the Vito. But I wouldn't bother for driving in the UK.

One has to remember that tyre companies exist solely to sell as many tyres as possible.

I'm still unconvinced that 'cold weather' tyres offer any significant advantage in typical south of England winter conditions (i.e. a bit chilly but no actual snow or ice 99% of the time).

If they did then the emergency services, AA, RAC, etc. would all fit them, and AFAIK they don't. In fact any employer who DIDN'T would surely be negligent, if there was a proven safety benefit?

Don't get me wrong, if we drive to the South of Germany in Feb. then I'll be buying winter tyres for the Vito. But I wouldn't bother for driving in the UK.

I fit winter /cold weather tyres, the main reason being spending time in colder climates during the winter months. If I didn’t have that reason I suspect I wouldn’t bother.

The stated temp at which a benefit occurs is seven degrees. It’s above that quite a lot of the time in a typical southern UK winter and also below it quite a bit. So the case isn’t really clear either for fitting or not fitting winter / cold weather tyres. I suppose the further north you live the more compelling the case for winter / cold weather tyres becomes.

Sp!ke, don't confuse the performance of any winter tyre or M&S tyre with a cold weather tyre, tyre technology has moved on in the last few years, this describes cold weather tyres on the tyresafe site.............

"One of the most recent tyre developments benefiting motoring safety has been the introduction of cold weather tyres designed to perform more effectively in snow and icy conditions, especially when temperatures fall below 7oC. These tyres should not be confused with the more traditional winter tyre, also known as mud and snow tyres. Cold weather tyres have a different rubber compound which remains more pliant at low temperatures giving them extra grip in cold, wet and icy conditions."

Russ

I think what this thread shows is that there is much confusion over the marking of these tyres and of the winter tyres generally.

In Europe we've had winter tyres for quite some time. In the last 5 years however, tyre technology moved a big jump forwards due to new rubber compounds so that true Winter tyres bearing the Snowflake symbol (severe snow) could be used all year round hence gaining the M&S marking as well as the snowflake on the same tyre.

The most modern version of the winter tyre therefore does have the M&S symbol contrary to what tyresafe says (rather shocking that the industry safety body don't know this).

Last edited:
I got the Severe snow condition, +winter, +all season tyres fitted today.

At least I guess what they must be with the M&S sign as well as the snowflake symbol. :D

What marking does a cold weather tyre have again?

A quick update on this. Set off for Croatia at 6pm Friday night.

Arrived about 11:30 AM this morning. No drama or fuss, roads mainly clear of snow until the last couple of miles but traction seems ok - certainly better than with summer tyres fitted.

Glad to hear it, What's the temp over there, gonna snow for christmas ?

A quick update on this. Set off for Croatia at 6pm Friday night.

Arrived about 11:30 AM this morning. No drama or fuss, roads mainly clear of snow until the last couple of miles but traction seems ok - certainly better than with summer tyres fitted.

Well you got there safely which is the main point of the exercise.:bannana:
What tyres did you end up with- was it the Savas? I was a bit confused by the end of the thread?:confused:

In the end I got some Avon Ice tours.

I have to say that they feel like they have less grip than my summer tyres on normal wet road conditions despite the 7 degrees or less claim.

Pulling away reasonably hard from peages resulted in plenty of tyre slip that I wouldn't expect normally. I'm sure they're better in icy or snowy conditions but better in cold weather? I'm less than convinced.

Snow for Christmas? Yes, plenty of snow, I'm hoping to go for a wander into the forest later with my youngest in search of a Christmas's tree. If its anything like previous years, deep in the forest, up to the waist in snow, looking for the perfect tree, its a magical experience he'll not forget.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to go for a wander into the forest later with my youngest in search of a Christmas's tree. If its anything like previous years, deep in the forest, up to the waist in snow, looking for the perfect tree, its a magical experience he'll not forget.

More like you'll never forget it...:D

Surely, now you've got your snow tyres on can't you drive....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom