Need to bite the bullet - Coil packs etc, where to source

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
2003 W215 TT

Hi,

Well, seems the time has arrived and I need to bite the bullet and change the coil packs. If I order them over here in SW France, the eyes of the Merc receptionist just light up, so I'm looking for an alternative source.

Anyone ordered them from the USA, Germany or UK, please? Where would you go and how much are we looking at?

Also, should I change any of the control modules while the packs are being changed?

If I have the plugs changed at the same time, can anyone advise how long the whole job should take Merc technicians?

All advice gratefully accepted ...... I know these motors are complicated!

Thanks,

Stuart

Night be worth contacting MB Grangemouth or MB Newcastle as both dealers heavily discount spare parts.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/find-a-dealer/mercedes-benz-of-grangemouth/ref/arnyam

MB Newcastle......- Speak directly to one of our fully qualified parts advisors on 0191 2267430. (Open weekdays Monday - Friday 8.00am until 5.30pm and Saturday's 8.00am until 2.00pm)

Please have the vehicle registration or chassis/VIN number to hand.

If you are talking about the V12 ignition cassettes its doubtfull these are going to be an off the shelf item at your local MB outlet. As such they will have to be ordered in [ they may even be a -{on back order from Germany} item] The likelyhood of a discounted price is pretty slim - they may even wish payment up front unless they know you. Best bet would be refurbished ones from the USA [ the home of big petrol engined mercs- this means there's a big enough market to encourage a refurb cottage industry] there's lots of stuff on YouTube about these ignition cassettes maybe worth a look. https://youtu.be/iEsdZsFnEYo
[YOUTUBE HD]iEsdZsFnEYo[/YOUTUBE HD]

Thanks everyone - will explore those options.

Anyone hazard a guess at the labour involved, please, to change coils and plugs?

Thanks again,

Stuart

Interesting post ..... please report on progress....

Mercedes-Benz-CL600-2003-1600-40.jpg

As someone who is going to have to buy a V12 W215 one day when the right car comes along,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be interested to hear how it all works out....

Last edited:
If you are talking about the V12 ignition cassettes its doubtfull these are going to be an off the shelf item at your local MB outlet. As such they will have to be ordered in [ they may even be a -{on back order from Germany} item] The likelyhood of a discounted price is pretty slim - they may even wish payment up front unless they know you. Best bet would be refurbished ones from the USA [ the home of big petrol engined mercs- this means there's a big enough market to encourage a refurb cottage industry] there's lots of stuff on YouTube about these ignition cassettes maybe worth a look. https://youtu.be/iEsdZsFnEYo
[YOUTUBE HD]iEsdZsFnEYo[/YOUTUBE HD]

I have absolutely no intention of doing any technical work to my car but I really enjoyed watching the video.

Thanks,
Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going to the Bergerac "club of clubs" on Sunday?

No, pool party at my daughter's gaff to celebrate arrival of Margot and her friend's second little chap. They were both in Pgx hospital at the same time!

Is MB Bergerac under the Launay group? Kiss of death to MB service in the region.

R

Last edited:
No, pool party at my daughter's gaff to celebrate arrival of Margot and her friend's second little chap. They were both in Pgx hospital at the same time!

Is MB Bergerac under the Launay group? Kiss of death to MB service in the region.

R

No, sorry, should have said ........ it's the classic car meeting run by the "Chevaliers":

Les Chevaliers de l'Arbre à Cames

They meet on the first Sunday of each month and next Sunday is the annual "club of clubs" meeting, when other clubs come along and the place is normally fully. European, Americana and bikes galore. I take my '54 Sunbeam Talbot 90.

Stuart

Update:

Price for 2 coil packs here in SW France: €3851, or £3438 including tax.:eek:

Thanks to the advice on here (AMGeed:thumb:) I spoke with MB Newcastle first. Price for both packs: £2200 plus postage ..... quite a saving, so thanks, guys.

Am having the plugs changed at the same time and the labour charge quoted is 7.75 hours.

A final thought .... I believe there is a small leak from the oil cooler which, I understand, sits in the engine "V". Will this be accessible when the coils and plugs are being changed? Nearly 8 hours labour seems a lot and it would be a shame not to have the oil cooler done.

Thanks,

Stuart

Update:

Price for 2 coil packs here in SW France: €3851, or £3438 including tax.:eek:

Thanks to the advice on here (AMGeed:thumb:) I spoke with MB Newcastle first. Price for both packs: £2200 plus postage ..... quite a saving, so thanks, guys.

Am having the plugs changed at the same time and the labour charge quoted is 7.75 hours.

A final thought .... I believe there is a small leak from the oil cooler which, I understand, sits in the engine "V". Will this be accessible when the coils and plugs are being changed? Nearly 8 hours labour seems a lot and it would be a shame not to have the oil cooler done.

Thanks,

Stuart

8 hours seems very high. I wonder whether they have simply added the time allowed for plugs to the time allowed for coil packs.The standard price for plugs in the Uk seems to be £700ish from an MB dealer. IIRC someone on here had coil packs changed by a reputable indie in about 1.5 hours.I am sure savings could be made on the cost of the coilpacks as well but maybe safer buying from MB Grangemouth.

Thanks OG57!

Would you know if the heads have to come off to replace the oil cooler, please?

So .... 1.5 (say 2) hours to replace the coil packs and another hour (?) to change the plugs.

Should the labour cost be around 3 hours, then?

Stuart

Thanks OG57!

Would you know if the heads have to come off to replace the oil cooler, please?

So .... 1.5 (say 2) hours to replace the coil packs and another hour (?) to change the plugs.

Should the labour cost be around 3 hours, then?

Stuart

I don't know about the oil cooler issue sorry. I am only going on information on the forum. Perhaps MB Grangemouth could tell you what an Mb dealer in the UK allows time wise for this work, particularly if you are buying the parts from them. Videos on You tube give you a good idea of what is involved in doing the job - appears to be fiddly but not that difficult, so 8 hours seems somewhat excessive.

Just found an old post discussing the heads off issue- yes they do have to come off and its a time consuming (read expensive) job.

Just found an old post discussing the heads off issue- yes they do have to come off and its a time consuming (read expensive) job.

Thanks ....... turning out to be an expensive month ...... took my XK in for the aircon to be regassed, but now told it needs a new aircon radiator ..... @ €900 plus fitting?

Need to chase up Mb UK as heard nothing from my confirmatory email order sent on Monday.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Plus you will see from the You Tube in the thread it takes the guy about 12 minutes to replace one coil pack. Ok it might not be 100% real time but its not far off and he has clearly done it before but it puts your 8 hours into perspective!

Yes, thanks - going in to see the garage tomorrow to discuss. Guess the oil cooler is a step too far.

Amazingly simple (or so it seems!) to dismantle the top bits to gain access to the plugs, but there are numerous little bits to remember where they go back!

As an aside, the XK needs a new condenser ........ €950 for the part out here.

Less than £200 if ordered from the UK! Labour charge is €78, or £70 per hour for both Merc and Jag.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom