Need to replace front tyres - Help with size please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
Hi all,

Need to replace my front two tyres on my 2002 C Class Sport Coupe C200 Kompressor.

My current tyres that were on when I bought the car are: 225/45/R17 94W however when I type my car into the tyre checker etc, or look for tyres specific to my car, it appears that the current tyre size is too big/high profile for my car and different size tyre is being recommended.....

The rear ones are 225/45Z/R17 91Y........

Thanks

What width rims do you have front and rear?

What width rims do you have front and rear?

Hi,

No idea on width...not sure there is a way to find this out without taking the tyres off....I think the rims are still the original ones from factory.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 12
Cheers. Will take look.

The likes of this website are throwing up tyres in the 205 range so just trying to figure out why mine are 225's and what the difference is etc.

I'll look into it!

Edit- The link you gave shows 225's are correct for those rims, so I am guessing it's the rims that dictate the tyre size rather than the model of car.

I would not worry too much - I have 2 sets of 16" rims, both genuine MB, the summer ones that came with the car have 205/55's on 7J, the winter ones I bought have 225/50 on 7.5J (expensive rims tht were a cost option on the car according to a brochure I have!). Car actually rides a bit softer and quieter on the 225 winter tyres. I also have a set of 17" AMG's I'll shortly be refurbing and putting new tyres onto for summer, be interesting to see what that does to the ride - if I get earache from the passenger seat I'll have to sell them, if not I'll sell the 16's!

Cheers. Will take look.

Edit- The link you gave shows 225's are correct for those rims, so I am guessing it's the rims that dictate the tyre size rather than the model of car.

As with most Mercedes there were several wheel size options for your car, including a staggered setup option (back wheels wider than the front) and some online tyre searches list the different size options and some don't.

My niece has a Coupe with staggered wheels the same as do I on my C Class Saloon and both have the same wheel sizes fitted, though different designs. 7.5" wide front and 8.5" rear with tyre sizes being 225/45x17 front and 245/40x17 rear. Just a 'beware' note for when you need to replace the rear tyres... they may be a different size.

This link may be of help in the future, it lists most options. Mercedes C Class Alloys (Sport Coupe CL203) - Alloy Wheels Direct

You shouldn't have to take the wheel off with those rims, just give the rear of the spokes a wipe over and use a mirror to see between them, you will see the size info cast on a couple of the spokes.

Thanks for all your help.

Went with these in the end. Same size as the previous ones, and the ones on the rear are the same size except the 91 load rating rather than 94, but not sure it makes too much of a difference. Cheaper option but have very good reviews.

Tyre Nexen N8000 225/45 R17 94W XL - Tyre Leader

Please give us an update of what you think of the Nexens, as I'm thinking of them for my 17" AMG's after I get them refurbed.

Tyreleader was good for me, and tyres came after two days...

It was £101 for two front tyres and opted to have them delivered to my home first. Called up a local garage I haven't used before and they said they could fit me in for today to put them on. They were extremely busy however they got them on the car....I thought they usually lift the car on the machine to get them on but they did it from the floor with a jack.

It came to £28 all in, however they did tell me I would need to get them tracked another time because they will burn out quickly if I don't. I did think when I called the £14 quoted for each tyre included everything but that was my fault for not asking. They said it would be £45 before vat to get them tracked. I didn't check to see if they balanced them and on the invoice it just states "replaced front tyre" but I assume anyone garage fitting a tyre would balance them but not sure what that involves.

Advice appreciated!

Tracking is never included when having new tyres fitted.

When getting the tracking aligned look for someone with a Hunter machine, which does a four wheel alignment on castor and camber. My brother just had his checked using a Hunter machine, cost him £38 inc VAT.

Balancing the wheels is pretty standard practice these days, but check just inside the wheel spokes for lead weights stuck just inside on the flat part of the rim. Or see if you get any vibration, steering wheel wobble at certain speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom