Need to tighten up my steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaceDiagnostics

Car
450SL XK8
Given I now have great access to the steering box, its now a good time to investigate the play in the the steering.
I was hoping it was the steering coupler that was worn but when I checked today, it seems that all the play is in the box itself.
I have heard that there is some adjustment that is possible, anyone know how to do this, I suspect its something to do with the nut and grub on the top in the picture.

steering%20box.jpg

I dont know for certain on these steering boxes but that does look like a backlash adjuster on other makes of cars / vans / lorries I have worked on.
I dont remember any specific settings for adjusting those except to loosen lock nut, wind in grub screw gently until contact made then back of 1/4 turn and tighten lock nut. Then check very carefully for any tightspots in the full range of operation of the steering, lock to lock. If too tight you will lose the self centreing effect of the steering.
That will need confirming by someone who knows these boxes before you adjust.

Great thread on you engine strip by the way !!

Something to be aware of is the possibility of overtightening on extremes of steering lock.

Because the steering spends over 90% of its time in the straight ahead position, that's where the wear occurs. The ends of the worm hardly get used so don't wear. If the box is adjusted to remove significant wear from the straight ahead position the 'unworn' ends of the worm will be over tight, and it may not even be possible to reach full lock.

Stratman is right, but you'll soon know, and can back it off a touch.

I tightened mine up today, it took a rotation of 360 degrees to reduce the slack from about 55mm down to 25mm. With the wheels jacked up off the ground there was no decernable differnce in torque from lock to lock or at the centre point.

I am tempted to get a full overhaul as the box has a bit of a leak too. Anyone know where this can be done?

Has anyone removed the pitman arm before, the Merdedes manual calls for a special tool, can it be done without this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom