Need Tyre Pressure Advice

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by flango, Sep 14, 2008.

1. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Could anyone advise on correct tyre pressures for a W208 CLK running the staggered set up. I have 225x40x18 tyres on the front and 255x35x18 on the rear. I am getting conflicting advice and dont want to trash a set of tyres by over or under inflating them.

Thanks

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Use the same pressures which are published for your model as a guide - check the manual or inside of filler flap.

Then adjust up or down according to how they feel when driving and wear characteristics. That's all you can do - all published/recommended tyre pressures are a guide only.

3. OP
    OP
    flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Thats exactly what I have done but I have come to the opinion 32 psi in the front and 34 psi in the back gives the best handling and ride, I'm just concerned these seem a little higher than what I am normally used to and don't want to trash the tyres, equally I don't want to go too low and damage the rims. I should have also probably mentioned this is a weekend car so normally runs with a full complement of 4 people in it.