Need workshop or bentley or haines repair manual for 1984 280se euro version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GQROD

Cheers from the other side of the pond,

not sure if i posted in the correct place but i need a manual for a 1984 280se w126 ( six cylinder ) euro version, this is considered a grey market car here in the states and i'm having trouble locating a repair manual.

Any links to available book vendors would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for your help

Your problem is that you have a model with a very short lived engine ( in that w126 model) its the the twin cam M110 MOTOR replaced by the much more common M103 found also in the w124 series. Mercedes-Benz M110 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
your best bet for that engine would be the contemporary W123 series manual from Haynes. Haynes don't publish a manual for the W126 series sorry.
Product: Mercedes-Benz 250 and 280 123 Series Petrol (Oct 76 - 84) up to B<br />Classic Reprint

There is also this manual on the w123 by Brooklands books which also includes your engine.http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...ual+(Brooklands)&x=14&y=18&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Last edited:
Thank you very much i sincerely appreciate the help!

The 123 is the smaller body style correct? i do have a us version of a manual that shows the engine in the smaller body style which has helped with wiring diagrams, but needed a manual for the fuel injection which your suggestions will help with a lot!

Last edited:
Yep the W123 was the medium sized saloon/coupe/estate of the time later replaced by the W124 series. The production run of W126 large saloon which is sometimes referred to as the S class overlapped the medium sized W123/W124model change. Make sure whichever manual you go for includes details of your particular fuel injection system system.
You can get parts the older genuine MB manuals here.
Classic Technical Literature

Last edited:
Thank you very much the manuals listed on that site will help a lot!

Ok thanks to those who posted i found a manual that helped a lot.

What online UK website can i go to for parts? i need a head gasket and cannot find the vehicle listed on any sites.

I dont' mind payig the higher shipping costs so long as i can get the correct one.

I don't have a part number for the head gasket which makes it difficult to find through autohaus,germanstar etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
You need to put your VIN no into here. Êàòàëîã

remember to scroll down the page to see the parts sections. Just click on them to get to engine section the head gasket is listed under the engine housing section There appear to be 2 engine versions for the 126022 chassis--- 110987 and 110989

Last edited:

remember to scroll down the page to see the parts sections. Just click on them to get to engine section the head gasket is listed under the engine housing section There appear to be 2 engine versions for the 126022 chassis--- 110987 and 110989

Thank you very much i'll try it, would this be the only site available?

Just wanted to say thank you for the information on that russian website, i was able to get part numbers and mercedes dealer here can order spares from Germany!!

What is the difference between the engine versions of 110987 and 110989, it appears according to my vin# i have that begins with 110989 is what i have.

Is there a difference in spares for each version?

I'll be ordering both head gaskets and want to make sure i'm ordering the correct ones.

You are the only one who successfully listed the correct number as i had not found it listed anywhere else ! Thank you

There are 2 current part nos for the cylinder head gasket you require.
MERCEDES-BENZ 110 016 20 20

MERCEDES-BENZ 110 016 23 20

probably made by REINZ who quote the following spec

Thickness/Strength 1,75 mm, Ø 87 mm suitable for

Engine Code M 110.993
Engine Code M 110.987
Engine Code M 110.989

Don't know how they are different- possibly different manufacturer or slightly different design/material:dk: My guess for the different engine nos would be slight increase in compression ratio or valve size but basically the same engine--they both appear use the same CH gasket anyway.:thumb:

There are 2 current part nos for the cylinder head gasket you require.
MERCEDES-BENZ 110 016 20 20

MERCEDES-BENZ 110 016 23 20

probably made by REINZ who quote the following spec

Thickness/Strength 1,75 mm, Ø 87 mm suitable for

Engine Code M 110.993
Engine Code M 110.987
Engine Code M 110.989

Don't know how they are different- possibly different manufacturer or slightly different design/material:dk: My guess for the different engine nos would be slight increase in compression ratio or valve size but basically the same engine--they both appear use the same CH gasket anyway.:thumb:

Thank you again for such a quick response!!

i had been searching for a long time for part numbers ( which i got through the russian site you told me about ) and found a website that can special order it from germany and they have all the part numbers listed oem from mercedes,

it's www.trademotion.com/partloca ( MBZ Wholesale Parts is thier name on thier website ),

it's the only website i have found that carries or can special order from germany where the part number comes up as listed on thier site!!!! they have a kit for $183.00 also. Thier prices are 40% less than dealer if anyone is looking for parts for this model.

Thank you again for all your help i could not possibly have saved this car without all your information and patience !!!

I'll post back when i have made progress on repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom