Negotiating a discount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eagletower

What's the most you have negotiated off a car? My current Mercedes was advertised for £7300 and I paid £6850 2.5 years ago.

What's the most £ or % you have negotiated ?

(Looking to buy a new car soon hence wanting to know what the 2nd hand car market is like now)

Bit too broad a question to answer meaningfully. I bought mine MB Approved from a dealer. For a number of reasons I thought the advertised price was too high and offered £2,000 less. The dealer would go no more than halfway and we parted amicably.

Four weeks later, the dealer got some incentive money from MB UK to sweeten the deal and offered me the car for £500 less than I'd offered before, which is why it's on my drive now.

A few years back I was looking to p/ex my Alfa 147 mjet.The best offers were approx 5.5k against 12-15k cars.

I took the car over to an Alfa dealership who, after some seriously hard bargaining offered me 7.5k against an 18.5k 159. When I studied the invoice the 159 had been discounted by 2k, the p/ex still 5.5k. 3 months later I got rid of the 159-best price 14.5k against a 17k Honda.

So I negotiated 2k off the 159's asking price -still lost 2k when I sold it on after 3 months

buying an Alfa and only losing 2k must be a record?

I had a brand new 156 2.0TS with all the gear - paid 22k for it. After 3 years and 62,000 miles part-ex'd it for £5,500.

:-(

I had a brand new 156 2.0TS with all the gear - paid 22k for it. After 3 years and 62,000 miles part-ex'd it for £5,500.

:-(

Ouch.

Every time my heart says Alfa, my wallet says NOOOO!!!

Although p/x was involved with the Alfa deal, I suppose the 2k discount eventually offered against the ticket price of the 159 I bought qualifies ( the invoice itemised the car's purchase price at the reduced figure from 18.5k to 16.5k)

On a new car has to be 20%-30% last deal I did for my Volvo was 26%. I'm hoping to beat that with SWMBO new motor. :D

On a new car has to be 20%-30% last deal I did for my Volvo was 26%. I'm hoping to beat that with SWMBO new motor. :D

Absolutely. The best I've managed was nearly 60% compared to list when the scrappage on an MOT fail was included. That car, a Panda, is still worth more than I effectively paid for it, 2½ years later!

Best I've done is £2500 off a 6 year old £15000 1993 325i Coupe from a BMW dealer.

Although saying that, the amount we are saving on our new Juke with 0% APR plus the trade in and extras I got - it beats the above by quite some margin.

Just ordered a new ML350 Bluetec. Invoice with extras over 62k agreed 55k, 7k discount on a new car, not bad. Being delivered in August.

Anyone interested in a mint 2006 ML 350 all the extras 48k miles FMBH.
PM or email me for further details

Paul

25%-30% beat my expectations by quite a bit.

Remember though that these figures are off new cars' list prices. Second-hand is a bit different unless a dealer regularly overprices his stock, which doesn't often happen as it's not a good way to trade.

Really, looking at £ or % as a measure of 'decent' discount is a bit of a red herring though.

Example:

Someone who drives away in a car that could be gotten from a dozen sources for £10k when it was advertised at £20k hasn't really saved £9k more than the others who bought ostensibly the same car from the other places that had it up for £11k.

The car is still worth ~£10k. Some may get a similar car for slightly less, others will pay more. Knowing that a similar car is similar enough to make such comparisons valid though is nigh on impossible (trim, colour, condition, options, miles, location, time of month etc.).

Only by researching the market and car will you know if you've been offered a good deal. If it satisfies you then you've probably done enough. :)

As I said, the only time you're able to 'level the playing field' is with new cars because of the published list prices.

Oh, one more thing; it helps if you're married to a procurement professional ;)

I got 30% off list price for an X-type. Deal was done on last day of the sales window and I found a dealer who needed my sale to make their numbers.

Oh, one more thing; it helps if you're married to a procurement professional ;)

Also helps if you've spent all your life in technical sales and as a sales trainer.:thumb: you've just got to know what makes them tick do your research find out the dealers struggling to make targets and pounce :eek: i've just turned down the first offer on SWMBO's new motor from the Volvo dealer on the face of it a great offer but I know he has got more to give :D

I was considering buying private as I am after a second hand CLK 2008 on wards. But it looks like dealers may be more flexible with deals.

I was considering buying private as I am after a second hand CLK 2008 on wards. But it looks like dealers may be more flexible with deals.

Not a bad plan. When looking for my CLS there seemed to be no real difference in the asking prices between private sellers and dealers (albeit not so many private sales around). Possibly slightly more room to haggle with a private seller depending on how rapidly they need to get rid of the car.

Nice to have a warranty though which most dealers will provide to sort out any initial niggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom