Neighbour dispute - need basic sound recorder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
My weirdo neighbour, who has decided that 'you don't keep cockerels in the country' is now claiming (to the council) that the cockerel is calling 'every 20 seconds, from pre 8.00 to 12.45'

this is impossible - as the thing was let out of its hut at 9.00 by the missus!

Loony tunes is now 'recoding' or logging the calls.

So - I thought I'd play him at his own game, and actually record the crowing (theres at least 2 other cockerels within a few hundred yards)...

BUT - most sound recoding doo-hickeys record at a high quality - I just want a very basic, crude, low res recording of sound (preferably in MP3) that wont eat all my HDD... ie maybe 5gig / 12 hours? whatever that works out as.

Any pointers?

Thanks

I have a 24 hour timelapse video recorder you could borrow. Hook it up to a simple camera and mic and its time stamped and everything...

Should be indisputable proof.

Actually, windows sound recorder will let you record in mono mp3 format @ 1Kb/s. Cant get much lower than that surely?

[Edit] doh! it only lets you do 60 second clips.

Cool - thanks Sp!ke... might make the trip soon... unless you fancy posting it? (Ill reimburse you obviosly)

The Council are likely to have their own noise-level recording kit.

There is no reason why you shouldn't make an approach to them and ask to have it installed on your property (rather than your neighbour getting the first call).

;)

You could use Aircheck, this software is used by radio stations to record their output off-air in case the jock says something he shouldn't etc (legal requirement). Cost is $99 but you may be able to get a free trial. http://www.zillenbiller.de/aircheck/ is the website, Christian Zillenbiller is very helpful (no connection, just used the software in the past).

Surely you and the cockerel are innocent until proved guilty? Why should you have to put yourself out and go to any type of inconvienance? Just let the neighbour produce the irrefutable evidence and not gossip or rumour.

Looks like your fated with awkward neighbours. Have you managed to sell the previous property yet?

Regards,
John

The onus is on the complainer to prove to the council that you're causing a 'noise nuisance'. As mentioned, the council will have the equipment to measure the sound volume & frequency ... but I doubt they'll be interested if no complaint has actually been lodged.

Anything you rig up probably wouldn't count as acceptable 'evidence' - you can set the date/time on a PC or a camcorder to anything you want. But it might be useful for your own peace of mind.

True - I suppose.... Finally sold the old place - exchanging this week... completing on the 1st.

loony tunes has left us a badly scrawled note (hes a writer, aparantly) to the effect that he has contacted the council, and they have told him to note the times / frequency. What I suspect hes doing, is noting the times of all three cockerels in the vicinity... not just ours....

had the same problem with a barking dog ....council told me to record the noise and log times ....but a nice word with the guy and know he takes it to work not had a bark since ....but if you live in the country you expect country noises ....animals and alike ....I am based and work in the country and sometimes its so noisy I can not here my self think ...birds . lambs ...cows ...sheep all going at it ....and come to think of it bloody dirty as well with all the townies on day trips dropping litter... condoms ...beer cans ...in lay-bys when you stroll up and down country lanes its amazing what you see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom