Neighbours using cones to guard parking spaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seymansey

Car
2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
Living in a terraced street, in a favourable living area, parking is always tight. I have come to the acceptance that you cannot always park outside your own house such is the position of everyone owning more than one. However two neighbours next to each other have come to the recent idea of using orange cones to guard their space.

Fairly rude in my opinions since I am sure that everyone would like to have their own space (the solution of course is to buy a house with a drive which i'm working on ;) ) but is there any legal aspect which they may be fouling. I'm sure they didn't buy the cones ;)

They can't do that as anyone, not just residents, is legally entitled to park there unless there are specfic restrictions in place. Front it out. Thank them for the cones and park your car there:D :D

One of my freinds has neighbours like this where he lives. He has spoken to them about it and it makes no difference, the cones just keep reappearing.
Unfortunately someone in the street has obviously been upset by the cones more than my freind and keeps stealing them:D

Might be worth a try as a last resort but just dont get caught.;)

Ask them where they bought their cones from? :confused: They're probably stolen... :mad: Return them to their rightful owner... :bannana: :devil:

The local council must issue a permit to allow anyone to erect traffic management apparatus on the Queen's Highway. It takes approximately eight weeks to process the application and grant a permit if it is deemed that one is required. ;)

I have the same difficult parking situation here, terraced housing, multi car housholds and not enough parking, my neighbours have just brought vans one side and the other owns three cars, as much as it is a pain in the bum with the parking (no cones yet though) I have to admit that the cars are taxed so they have the right to park there, traffic cones in my opinion are a no no, its somebody being a bit petty and wanting the space outside there house which they think is theirs, its not, its anybodies, we also have office workers parking in our road during the day, annoying, but they have the right, they are taxed, I would just ignore the cones and `check` they have the right to put them there with the council as suggested, I would assume they have not

living very close to the football ground ,many of our neighbours put their own cones out to stop fans parking on their fronts ,our lovely community bobby comes along and removes them all because its a public road and they are causing an obstruction

One of my freinds has neighbours like this where he lives. He has spoken to them about it and it makes no difference, the cones just keep reappearing.
Unfortunately someone in the street has obviously been upset by the cones more than my freind and keeps stealing them:D

Might be worth a try as a last resort but just dont get caught.;)

I found some lost cones, so I've kept them safe, and phoned the council?

We are lucky, plenty of driveway parking - doesn't stop some morons parking outside their houses, on the pavement, opposite each other, and winging when their cars get scratched when people have to negotiate the chicane. Odd.

Appreciate the situation but technically as public highway no one has the legal right to park outside of their home, if you wish to take it further any parking may be classed as obstruction of the highway. As for the cones, those bearing police logos ( if placed by the police) effectively prohibit parking otherwise cones are meaningless.

I often come across this scenario in my work & tell the parking attendents to remove them.

dave

They have no legal right to put the cones out and are creating an ostruction in teh carriageway.

Just park where the cones are and if they say anything thank them for reserving you a space.

How about cheering up the neighbourhood with a piece of contemporary art:

traffic_cones.jpg

You might even be able to sell it to the Tate Modern!

Removing the cones might be "funny"...but you have to live there - and sometimes its easier to turn the other cheek --

Unless you can't get parked....:D

Removing the cones might be "funny"...but you have to live there - and sometimes its easier to turn the other cheek --

Of course mooning outside their houses might not be the best thing:eek:

Just a suggestion but have you spoken to the neighbours about it. As one poster said "You have to live there with them" so it's not worth causing a big argument over it at this stage. You never know, a polite friendly chat to let them know that you are also fed up with the lack of parking but cones are not the answer might do the trick.

Another poster has rightly said "You (nor anyone else) have a LEGAL right to park on a public highway but the law overlooks most occurences unless a hazard is being caused.

Fortunately now I have enough space to park 8/9 cars on my drive but used to live in a house in a similar situation. It's a pain and I sometimes had to park down the street and walk 2/300 yrds to get to my door. That's a real pain in the rain with a boot full of shopping..!

Suggest the tactful approach in the first instance and elevate to the authorities if nothing changes.

Good Luck..!

For info, it's the Highways Act 1980 that allows removal of obstruction from the Highway of such things, and is what the local authority will use for removal - bear in mind this will likely be low priority, as cones often reappear from other sources.

I think the friendly word is the best option.

Thank you for all the comments. It doesn't personally bother me, I just think its a cheeky thing to do. As I said previously, the solution is to buy a house with a drive which is the ideal situation. I would think that someone moving the cones and parking there would be met with some vitriol. Someone else in the street will more than likely air a view at somepoint, or the local chavs will just nick the cones :D

You're more likely to find them on top of your cars though when the spotty yoofs find them!

Nip out at night with yellow paint and put down some nice parking restrictions,phone council complain about neighbours parking on yellow lines:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom