NEST 3rd gen thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Guys

Does anyone have a NEST setup at home?
Looking for real world feedback on how good they are or otherwise.

Been speaking to an installer about my current oil fired boiler setup and NEST.
He's told me I can install fine, but as I can't control hot water via the current setup, then there is a very small risk that if my house heats up quickly, then the hot water might not be as hot as it currently is.

He's also said there will be an annual saving on fuel bills, simply due to the fact that I'll be introducing a thermostat in the house, rather than the boiler just bubbling away.

No idea about NEST Shaun, but your installer is correct. If the hot water is heated by convection rather than pumped water then the stat will turn off the boiler when the temp you want in the room is reached.

He could alter the system to be fully pumped and thus allow a stat on the hot water tank turn the boiler off and on with a pump to the hot water tank separate to the rad system.

If you are talking about the house I've been in I wouldn't bother. A timer coming on at various times of the day and turning the stat on the boiler down a bit should suffice. I'm not sure that Nest isn't much more than nice marketing of an attractive looking product.

Yeah, it's the house you've been in Ciaran
Its just that NEST sounds to me like a much more clever idea rather than a dopey programmer, and a stat on the boiler.
Anyway, not to worry.

I run Nest , and love it. The most useful features are

a) The fact the temperature goes back to the programmed setting on the next cycle, even if someone at home has whacked the thermostat right up
b) It detects when you are away, and turns everything off, which is great for holiday homes etc

And also, for me, I have NEST smoke/CO2 detectors (which are nice looking rather than the normal horrible smoke detectors) and if they detect CO2 or Smoke will turn the boiler off. I have two seperate boilers at home, and thus 3 heating zones and a hotwater zone, s run 3 Nests, one with CH&HW and 2 for just CH

Given you only have CH, then maybe you only need the single zone version not V3?

R

If you are talking about the house I've been in I wouldn't bother. A timer coming on at various times of the day and turning the stat on the boiler down a bit should suffice. I'm not sure that Nest isn't much more than nice marketing of an attractive looking product.

I agree.

Honeywell do an excellent range of digital thermostats with nth degrees of flexabiliity, for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, it's the house you've been in Ciaran
Its just that NEST sounds to me like a much more clever idea rather than a dopey programmer, and a stat on the boiler.
Anyway, not to worry.

The stat on the boiler will remain Shaun. The combined room thermostat and programmers work very well and can be wireless, like the ones mentioned in the post above.

Cheers for the replies guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom