net books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alfie07

Banned
thinking about getting a net book would appreciate any advice thanks in advance alfie07

Just thinking about the MSI Wind/Advent 4211 (same machine) myself.
10in screen, 1Gb Men, XP Home, 120Gb HD for £250 - impressive spec for the price (has bluetooth as well which a number of machine miss out on).

Had a quick peek in PCworld yesterday the 4211 has a slightly better (full width) keyboard than the 4212/4213 models.

Hello

My home laptop os a 17" Toshiba however I also use a Toshiba NB100 8.9" Screen, 120gb H/D, 1GB (soon to upgrade). Its seems to work very well.

However...........

Toshiba have addressed a few issues, mainly the small keyboard and the darkness of the keys. I have on order (for work) to test :) the new NB, it will have a 10" screen, larger keyboard and around £280 wit Vista. We get a three year warranty with these also so overall I'm happy with them.

Will report back on the new NB when I get my hands on it. The NB100 I have is great for surfing, word, checking mail etc.

Alfie,

It all boils down to your budget and any specific requirements you've got.

Any suggestions/ideas?

K

I have had an Asus Eee netbook for over a year now and find it brilliant. I use it mainly for emails, fora and the like but if you intend to watch movies the screen is a bit small, reectified in the later model, and memory can be a problem too.

Samsung NC10 is one of the quickest ( although they mainly all use the atom 1.6 chip)

And the new Compaq model gets good reviews.

Ive had my asus eee 904hd for 5 months now and very pleased with it. I hardly ever use the desktop now, i just use the netbook in front of the tv every night!. If i were to buy one today I would go for a 10" screen, mine is a 8.9 and you do have more left /rifgt scrolling to do than is normal. Get an XP machine, and if you can get one with HSPDA? then all the better.

Samsung NC10 - get it from saveonsamsung.com, with a 1GB upgrade Works very will with Windows 7

I'm waiting for a discount on the Dell Mini 9 to put OSX on it.

Hi,

Is the fan on the models suggested here, obtrusive in living room where the SO is watching soaps and stuff on TV?

Hi,

Is the fan on the models suggested here, obtrusive in living room where the SO is watching soaps and stuff on TV?
No fan (noise ) - atom 1.6 chip. However its not called a net book for nothing as they wont do much more than surf.

Sounding sweet to me, Hugh!

The missus will have no reason to ban me from the living room if I get one of them :)

I have had an Asus Eee netbook for over a year now and find it brilliant. I use it mainly for emails, fora and the like but if you intend to watch movies the screen is a bit small, reectified in the later model, and memory can be a problem too.

I had an Asus eee pc, it was fine, but now I have a 9" Dell (oo-err missus) :D

For £199, it's decent value, and the battery life is amazing. 4 hours plus!

I had an Asus eee pc, it was fine, but now I have a 9" Dell (oo-err missus) :D

For £199, it's decent value, and the battery life is amazing. 4 hours plus!

We're up to nearly 6 hours on the Samsung NC10... they get better, then start to fade.

We're up to nearly 6 hours on the Samsung NC10... they get better, then start to fade.

Samsung have another model - the N110 which is a bit pricier and heavier than the NC10 but allegedly does 9.5 hours.

thanks for all the replies expecting to pickup a toshiba nb200 monday next week will let you how it goes

I would second on Asus EeePC with the long life battery, solid state drive (SSD) instead of hard disc because it is lighter and makes the battery last longer (7+ hours) with Intel Atom processor and Windows XP to make it faster and less power usage.

My wife wants her own small computer but will need MS Office functions.

Given comments above about Office 2003/2007 how do you deal with loading CD/DVD based software onto a netbook with no optical drive? Can OEM software be transferred to USB sticks to install from there?

Thanks

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom