Net pix and Lovefilm with Apple TV?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Thinking of subscribing to Netpix or Lovefilm. The Apple website specifically mentions that Apple TV can stream Netpix but no mention of Lovefilm - I suspect because of the US versus UK influence.

If Netpix works seamlessly with Apple TV then that might make it more attractive. Generally though it's not reaching out to me. Need to link to Facebook for the trial is also a turnoff.

I feel more comfortable with Lovefilm, although I couldn't say why. It's also £1 per month cheaper and allows 3 different films to be watched concurrently (compared to just one with Netpix). That said there's nothing to suggest it could seemlessly stream to Apple TV unless I mirror from iPhone or iPad.

Anyone use Lovefilm with AppleTV?

Views of Netpix versus Lovefilm generally?

I don't think you can without using Mirror. PS3 can though

Not sure my internet connection could handle streaming more than one movie at a time anyway..

Bobby, before going ahead check your "fair use" restrictions on your broadband package. I was planning to get Netflix, but after looking at the amount of data per hour being streamed I realised I would not be able to use it.

I'm with Virgin on cable, the fair use restricts me to 1Gb of data during 09:00 to 21:00 (or something similar). If I stream HD data then the data consumed equates to 2.3Gb per hour (from Netflix site). That means after around 25mins of a movie I would be throttled by Virgin. I've experienced the throttling before, when I streamed a movie to my tablet, after 1.5 hours the last 30 mins was unwatchable.

Its something I've been watching as I'm interested how the ISP's are going to handle the demand for streaming. There are only two truly unlimited packages in the market, the top offerings from Virgin and Sky. For me to upgrade my virgin pack to get unlimited it would cost me an additional £25 per month, then the £5 or £6 subscription to Netflix/Lovefim makes it quite expensive and not worthwhile for me.

BTDT with Lovefilm - waste of time in my opinion. The reality of what films they offer to stream is pretty poor and after I decided to cancel the contract - the phone cancellation process was a nightmare.
I looked at Netflix in detail and it looks to be just as poor as Lovefilm although it would appear you can cancel online without enduring a tedious telephone queue/callcentre.
I now just use Apple TV and Sony PS3 to stream films - both are excellent and do not involve any monthly subs.

I tried Netflix for a week. The film range was very small in comparison to lovefilm and the quality too poor, in fact not much better than VHS. Lovefilm streaming was better in quality, not quite SD broadcast quality but not far off.

At a push I could just accept the Lovefilm quality, but given the choice I would rather wait for the Blu-Ray to turn up in the post and see it projected at 1080 with full cinema sound.

Netflix cancellation was instantaneous. I've been with Lovefilm since they started and have watched hundreds of films through the post but only a few dozen via streaming.

The problem with streaming is that my download speed is only about 3.0MB so I will never get the HD that Netflix promise. I think you need 5.0mb minimum.

Bobby, before going ahead check your "fair use" restrictions on your broadband package. I was planning to get Netflix, but after looking at the amount of data per hour being streamed I realised I would not be able to use it.

Thanks for your reples.

A good point - I'm with Virgin too - I doubt my fair use restrictions are different.

The XXL at 50Mb is truly unlimited with virgin, all the other packages have the fair use restriction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom