Network monitor....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I have an LG Smart TV that is connected via a Cat5E patch cable to a Gigabit hub (that in turn is connected to my router gigabit port via Cat6) and has been for quite some time - TV does not support standard WiFi, but via some madly expensive LG AP USB adaptor. For some reason, it has suddenly decided to constantly disconnect and then reconnect successfully about 80% of the time.

I am pretty sure it is not my router, internet connection or infrastructure (all other things are fine and nothing has changed). I strongly suspect the TV but want to prove it so am looking for a network monitor I could run for a couple of days to see if it is my network that is in fact causing the issue. Most of the stuff I see is Enterprise level and needs licencing. Anybody know of anything suitable?

Set a static IP on the TV and setup a cmd ping to store to a txt file.

Something like

ping -t 192.168.1.1|cmd /q /v /c "(pause&pause)>nul & for /l %a in () do (set /p "data=" && echo(!date! !time! !data!)&ping -n 2 192.168.1.1>nul" >C:\pingtest.txt

You have to run cmd as admin for it to work.

Last edited:
Set a static IP on the TV and setup a cmd ping to store to a txt file.

Something like

You have to run cmd as admin for it to work.
God that takes me back in time, excellent advice!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just an update on this - the gigabit hub it is connected to is known good (it has another device connected which is fine).

So, on the basis that everything is worth a shot I proved good the patch cable - still no joy.

Ran cable to another gigabit hub in the room next door (hope she never finds the hole in the wall.... LOL) and voila it works!!

Just curious as to why that should be - any thoughts? Puzzled!!!

Just curious as to why that should be - any thoughts? Puzzled!!!

Did it get a new IP address? Is the TV gigabit capable or is it connecting at 100mbit?

For a basic network scanner try Fing on your phone or tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom