Network printer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
Oh wise ones...

I have installed a wireless network in my home but in order to print anything it must be on the main PC which is connected to my printer.
Is it possible to connect the printer to the wireless router so it can be used from anywhere?
I am sure it can but after endless searches for a cable I am running out of ideas.
It's an epson C64 and a netgear router.
TIA

Printer

What you can do is set up a home network sort of thing.

I went out recently and bought a new laptop for myself since the pc in the house was always in use. So like you i thought it would be handy to be able to print from anywhere in the house. After checking stuff out i realised that the printer i got with my laptop wasnt a network one and i was not going out to buy a new one. so what i did was connect the printer to the pc. which is connected to the router via ethernet cable. I then used the xp network setup wizard to allow printer and file sharing between the two units and installed the printer software on my laptop telling it that it is a network printer and it found it and works well prints every time. only problem is the base unit for the pc has to be on for it to print as the data or whatever goes through the base unit.

Assuming you have a spare network port on your router, you could use one of these:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...rchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50613

This plugs into the parallel port on your printer, and then you connect to the router with a normal ethernet cable. You won't need the PC to be on to print, either.

These are cheap and cheerful but work a treat - I've got half a dozen of them at work and they are very reliable - set it up, walk away and forget about it.

HTH.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom