Network storage for dummys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Hi to all the technical among you!

I have a wireless router shared by 1 PC, 1 Netbook and 1 Laptop. What I would like to do is to buy a harddrive/ storage device that can be shared by all 3, and used as a data dump for Music and files etc.

In language for a technichal near-illiterate, how would I achive this? BTW the Laptop uses Vista and the others XP.

Thanks!

If you want to put it near your TV and play movies and music from it you should consider one of the media servers like tvix, popcorn hour etc etc

Tesco is the best place for Dummies. Just follow the instruction that came with it. You can't go wrong else take it back to Tesco saying you dont know how to use it within 14 days.:thumb:

Tesco is the best place for Dummies. Just follow the instruction that came with it. You can't go wrong else take it back to Tesco saying you dont know how to use it within 14 days.:thumb:

Sorry, not following you? is there a product called Tesco or do you mean the supermarket sells what i need?

The easiest solution for you would be to visit PC World and ask to see their range of Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. Some come with hard drives and others do not.
They have solutions for all levels of user skill/ability.

The units simply plug into your router via one of the ethernet ports and can be "visible" to all pc's on your network.

Google "Netgear ReadyNAS Duo" - it does exactly the job you've described, i use it and i'm very happy with mine.

Thanks everyone, thats got me in the right direction, Cheers!

I've used a Buffalo Terastation (1TB, 4x250GB drives) since 2006 and it's quietly got on with the job of storing and serving up files since it was installed.

Essentially pick something from a company you've heard of and avoid anything that requires software to be installed on the client PCs.

Google "Netgear ReadyNAS Duo" - it does exactly the job you've described, i use it and i'm very happy with mine.

One I sorted out installing a couple of years back has had intermittent problems that I think are software related - that went away for a while after an update and recently it's acted up again.

I suspect it's being left on 24/7 with some intensive extended transfers to it every few hours that cause the problem. The workload on it has increased and we're seeing problems again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom