Network switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
We currently have a 4 port netgear router and an 8 port netgear switch, giving a total of 10 network connections which are all in use.

Network has a total of 18 connection points and we need to liven up 3 more points in the next few weeks.

So we need a new switch and I'm thinking of getting either a 16 port netgear or a 24 port TP-Link

The switch is in a cupboard along with sky box, HDMI hub, TV aerial amplifier, main electric fuseboards.
We haven't had any issues with the current set up, but overheating is a consideration.

The netgear is fanless - potential for overheating
The TP-Link has a fan which would run 24/7 - potential for fan breaking down then overheating

Anyone had any experience of either, good or bad?
Any alternative suggestions?

I have the tplink for the network in the study. great piece of kit for that price.

In terms of reliability:

TP-link - low end

NetGear - midrange

HP - high end

Try the HP ProCurve 1410 series, e.g. 1410-16G, they are indestructible. Yes they have a fan, but it only fails after several years of hard work on a factroty shop floor.

NetGear are not great but OK for home use.

TP-Link products are prices ridiculously low.

I had two 8 port tplink switches for about a few years before I purchased the 24port one and never had a problem them. Netgear, d-link and other midrange stuff, plenty of issues with failed routers, inoperable ports, etc.

In terms of reliability:

TP-link - low end

NetGear - midrange

HP - high end

Try the HP ProCurve 1410 series, e.g. 1410-16G, they are indestructible. Yes they have a fan, but it only fails after several years of hard work on a factroty shop floor.

TP-Link products are prices ridiculously low.
Found this
which isn't too bad if the quality is better.

3 usable ports on the router (router will probably change in January & don't know how many ports there are on other peoples routers, possibly changing to Sky but depends on deals available in Jan)
and 15 usable ports on the switch would give us the max we would need.
But, may be worth considering a 24 port (which is why the TP-Link was tempting) incase any ports fail:dk:

Looking at the 24 port HP
It says it has "2 dual-personality SFP-based mini-GBIC ports"
What are these?

I'd go with the Netgear switch if I was you, I ran many of these at my old company and never had a problem. The central hub in the building had 3 16 port switches in a wall box, with a router, with nothing more than a few aluminium blocks to space them apart and I never had a problem with overheating.

SFP's are pluggable fibre optic modules, btw, probably overkill for a home setup!

Cheers,

Gaz

From memory, the HP Procurves are top kit, but if they are managed switches, they are probably overkill for home use.

For avoiding fans/overheating issues, some of the low power switches remain cool in operation so don't need a fan...something like the DLink green Ethernet series switches, and they are quite cheap too.

I'll go sack our sysdamin for buying the wrong kit the then .....

OTOH he'll point out that all our last generation netgear switches lasted over 10 years - outlasting the much more expensive 3Com units we bought at the same time.

Last round of 24 port switches we got in where Netgear GS724Ts. Not expensive. And with some management features. More than enough for most situations.

Kind of off subject but you could carry out a bit of DIY on the cupboard and fit a couple of cheap vents for better ventilation.......they do this with the computers at school, keeping the towers locked away in cupboards away from children's mischief.

Martin

1. HP ProCurve 1410 is the highest unmanaged switch in the HP range. The next one up, 1810, is web-managed. For home use the 1410 is top notch.

2. The main issue with small switches in general is that they have an external AC Adaptor, which is not great. The larger units have built-in power supply which tends to be more reliable. But in a home environment sometimes ther's no choice and the smaller switch with AC Adaptor has to be used.

3. HP bought 3Com afew years ago.

4. We often find NetGear and D-Link switches when we take over new sites. They all go in the bin, replaced with HP ProCurve. I have no issue with any IT manager that wants to use them, but for us they are unsupportable.

5. SFP ports can take either GbE copper or GbE Fibre optional modules. Indeed not applicable for home environment, but you can just ignore them anyway. Keep in mind that they are simply hollow option slots (the modules need to be purchased separately) so not an expensive feature as such.

6. HP switches carry lifetime warranty.

7. Try this:

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/OB16...-OPEN-BOX-BOX-SHABBY-BUT-SEALED-AND-BRAND-NEW

Kind of off subject but you could carry out a bit of DIY on the cupboard and fit a couple of cheap vents for better ventilation.......they do this with the computers at school, keeping the towers locked away in cupboards away from children's mischief.

Martin

Cut holes in the doors that took 3 attempts to get right:crazy:
Off with his head!!!!!

I'll go sack our sysdamin for buying the wrong kit the then .....

OTOH he'll point out that all our last generation netgear switches lasted over 10 years - outlasting the much more expensive 3Com units we bought at the same time.

Last round of 24 port switches we got in where Netgear GS724Ts. Not expensive. And with some management features. More than enough for most situations.

Don't want management features - I struggle to understand unmanaged:eek:

I'd go with the Netgear switch if I was you, I ran many of these at my old company and never had a problem. The central hub in the building had 3 16 port switches in a wall box, with a router, with nothing more than a few aluminium blocks to space them apart and I never had a problem with overheating.

SFP's are pluggable fibre optic modules, btw, probably overkill for a home setup!

Cheers,

Gaz

Tempted by netgear as since we departed a dial-up-modem we have always had netgear without any issues

Was wary of the cheap price of the TP-Link

Don't want management features - I struggle to understand unmanaged:eek:

Personally I'd still go for a cheaper managed (perhaps better expressed as 'semi-managed' in some cases) switch just to get more info for diagnostics 'just in case' and the option of separating networks in future. Once you get to 16 port or 24 port rack mount type of product it's not a large extra cost and may save you a heap of trouble.

Power up a managed switch out of the box and it basically just defaults to working like an unmanaged one until you tell it otherwise.

If OP's requirements are for (a) something simple that just works and (b) something that generates minimal heat due to being in cupboard, then I would avoid managed switches, and look for an unmanaged one that is cheaper, simpler and most importantly has a power brick that is not within the switch's case...that way there is no heat next to the switch's electronics to require cooling and being a point of failure.

Look for ones which sense which ports are in use, and can knock off power to ports not in use. Normally I don't rate DLink kit very highly, but this DGS-1008D green Ethernet 8-port switch has worked flawlessly for years, is silent, uses little energy and runs cold, senses ports not in use etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom