Networking Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpskiller

Car
Wifes
Got a strange problem

Im ok at most things with computers but this has stumped me, Ive got several pc's wired & wireless set up at home, but one pc which is wired in, is unable to access internet or even see / ping any of the others, but all the others can browse the shares and access it fine.

all pc's use fixed IP address, which ive tired to change to no avail

Has this PC ever sucessfully accessed the internet or did it suddenly stopped being able to access the internet?

I have had this before - the Windows Firewall died and it meant I had to go back and put Service Pack 2 back on over the top, then run Windows Update again.

Strangely it happened suddenly, rather than just being after a Windows Update session.

Sounds very much like a firewall issue as other have said.

You ever installed ZoneAlarm on it in the past?

I'm assuming that the gateway and subnet mask are right in the TCP/IP settings - can you confirm?

As far as I can remember, no never been able to access internet / network it cant even access my router.

Silly question then, is the light on the ethernet port on (should be either amber or green if connected to the router). I had a similar problem with a PC until I realised that the there were two ethernet ports on the PC; the one on the motherboard which I was using was not working due a lack of a suitable driver, but the PCI one does work.

Took me almost an hour searching for a suitable driver online (using a USB ADSL modem) before spotting the second working ethernet port! You can check that it has a suitable driver by taking a look at the hardware device manager. In my case it wasn't helped by the fact that due to the two ports I was seeing a working driver as well as a warning and it didn't click on me that there were two on the machine!

Sounds very much like a firewall issue as other have said.

You ever installed ZoneAlarm on it in the past?

I'm assuming that the gateway and subnet mask are right in the TCP/IP settings - can you confirm?

Tcp/Ip settings correct, never install 3rd party firewall

Silly question then, is the light on the ethernet port on (should be either amber or green if connected to the router). I had a similar problem with a PC until I realised that the there were two ethernet ports on the PC; the one on the motherboard which I was using was not working due a lack of a suitable driver, but the PCI one does work.

Took me almost an hour searching for a suitable driver online (using a USB ADSL modem) before spotting the second working ethernet port! You can check that it has a suitable driver by taking a look at the hardware device manager. In my case it wasn't helped by the fact that due to the two ports I was seeing a working driver as well as a warning and it didn't click on me that there were two on the machine!

Only one network controller; on-board Marvell Yucon, installed & re-installed

Only one network controller; on-board Marvell Yucon, installed & re-installed

If you are confident that this is working (I would personally verify this by looking for the green/amber light besides the port) then have your check the properties of "My Network Places". This should show the port as connected or not.

If connected and still no internet connection, have you tried running the network wizard (Set up a home or small office network wizard)? This can sometime clear up any strange settings on the PC.

Unfortunately not really possible to diagnose much more than this without physically sitting at the offending PC.

Good luck.

One final thing, you are not by any chance using a cross-over ethernet cable? Can you verify by testing cable at a known working PC?

As far as I can remember, no never been able to access internet / network it cant even access my router.

Know it sounds basic - but have you tried with a known good ethernet cable? And a known good NIC?

Last edited:
Hi JPSKiller,

I had a similar problem. Have you checked your firewall settings. A good start is to turn windows firewall and any other firewalls like norton firewall off for a few minutes and try to connect to the internet. If it does then the firewall settings are wrong.

Good Luck..!

Are you sure that it din't happen after a Windows update? I had a printer networked and that packed up after one.

Can you 'Ping' the PCs own IP address.

In DOS comand prompt use 'ipconfig /all' to obtain the adress info, then at the next command line type 'ping' and the IP address.

It should ping it's own network card.

next ping the router ip address.

Can you 'Ping' the PCs own IP address.

In DOS comand prompt use 'ipconfig /all' to obtain the adress info, then at the next command line type 'ping' and the IP address.

It should ping it's own network card.

next ping the router ip address.

You could also make sure there is no DNS addresses set up on the offending machine - this could be looking at the wrong place for translating addresses (had this on our office network - chasing tails for about two weeks :crazy: )

At work at moment, ill try some of these ideas 2nite, Already tried diff - working cable, also tried setup - networking, lights ok on network card, all machines can ping it, but it cant ping anything, will try new network card and other ideas.

I think i remeber it did work at one point, just I never use this machine as its a file server so had no need to use internet or anything else on it until last night. cheers

If it's still giving you grief and you definitely don't have any third party firewalls etc., you could try the following command from a DOS window to force Windows to rebuild the network stack:

Code:
netsh winsock reset catalog
That's assuming you're running Windows, of course! :)

Thanks for all your ideas, but windows was just too corrupted:( , did clean install and that resolved the issue:D was trying to avoid that, but sometimes thats the way it has to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom