networking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Hi all

I have a decent home pc (hp), a canon usb scanner/printer, a couple of ext.hard drives for backup all in my study next to the O2 router.
About a year back, the guys at PCW advised me that a Belkin network hub was the way to go to be able to access archived data or use the printer off my laptop, and for the kids/wife to use the printer from their machines.

printing-wise its been ok, although a little "clunky" as you have to disconnect/ask another user to disconnect etc, and with regards to the data drives, they are available to all networked users (dont really want the kids accessing my business records).

The hub has gone pear-shaped, doesnt work properly despite online help/updates etc so it will go back for a refund (3 weeks to go to the 12 months warranty expiration!!). PCW state its still the best/only solution for me, but of course thats only based on what they stock. It wasn't particularly expensive, and whilst I dont want to spend a fortune, I'm interested to know what other solutions good people like yourselves use?

TIA

John

If I've read your post correctly it sounds like you're after a recommendation for a wireless hub, or if you're looking to integrate you O2 router, then replace it with a router-modem 'all in one' box?

I only know the bare basics (if that), so when I bought mine I wanted one with a good user interface that even I could understand. A friend recommended any Netgear product. I've bought a few over the years, my current one is a DG834G router-modem. I now agree with my friend that they are easy to use.

Something like this seems to be their current equivalent product to what I have.

NetGear Wireless-N 300 Router w/DSL Modem (DGN2200-100UKS) - dabs.com

if your meaning that you wish to connect multiple peripherals such as a NAS drive, printer, desktop and anythign else that uses a network and THEN have the switch connected to the router then yes it's the chepest and best option.

i have a pc attached to the back of the Tv downstairs, that connects to a switch along with the 360 and ps3, that switch then goes to a powerline adapter, the router is in the main bedroom and is connected again to a powerline, in the loft i have a desktop and an 16tb NAS rack along with the printer all connected to another switch and then into powerline. (powerline is a plug that uses the internal wiring of the house as a network cable... allowing you to connect devices in other rooms without the need for wireless)

the upshot is it's all wired, and no wireless is required (don't trust it, never have) but for once the muppets at PCW are actually spot on.

now, depending on what kind of traffic your sending down those network cables (mine all stream HD movies to the various different sets in the house) you may want to look at the speed that the switches can handle, the cheap option is of course a 10/100 switch (this will either connect and transfer data at 10meg or 100 meg depending on the connection and if both parties can handle such data speed)

if you are transferring large quantities of data then a 10/100/1000 switch is a better option because if all devices are capable you'll get a transfer rate of 1gb.

if your just going for the cheap option, go in and buy any basic network switch

if you are going for a better speed, then change the networking cables from cat 5e to cat 7e

Last edited:
printing-wise its been ok, although a little "clunky" as you have to disconnect/ask another user to disconnect etc,

I've never had much success with shared printers, either attached to a main PC or by USB to a hub.

Printers with built-in ethernet are pretty cheap now. You just plug 'em into your router and they work so much better.

I think you'll find that Belkin have a 'for life, no quibble' guarantee so they'll just swap it out.

They certainly did mine even though it was a couple of years old and got knocked out by a lightning strike!

I wired my house with cat 5e cableing so we can plug in anywhere in the house. Cables go back to a patch panel next to a netgear 8 port switch/hub & a netgear DG834G wireless router which also has 4 ports.
1 of the router ports connects to the switch/hub, so I have 3 + 7 wired ports as well as wireless.
With just the DG834G you could connect 1 pc, printer & a couple of network drives with patch leads, don't even have to be in the same room as you can get 10m patch leads from screwfix for £5.10!
Mine & both sons desktops, playstation, Wii, xbox360, network drive & printer are on the cat 5e wiring & there are 3 laptops which connect wirelessly.
Printer is a Brother MFC-6490CW (A3 printer/scanner/fax/copier - cost just over £200) and works fine with all our pc's & laptops, working on a variety of Windows versions - XP, Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit, 7 and until recently 98. Printer is USB/network/wireless. My pc connects via usb, other pcs via cat 5e & laptops wireless.
Although I don't use half the features, I can recommend it.
The DG834G has been a reliable product, although some re-configuring was required when I changed broadband suppliers.

Thanks all.

We're doing a big extension next year and willproably go down the cat 5/7 route then, but we all like the convenience of wireless.

Looks like till then I'll just get PCW to replace the existing Belkin hub as a temporary fix.

On a separate note, anyone recently used someone for LCD tv mounts? It's a minefield out there, about 22000 listings on ebay. A recommendation speaks a thousand words - I ised m-formation last year for a big mount which is excellent, but they don't do a just-tilting one for a smaller screen (19" and 6kg).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom