Never seen one of these before.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like something heavy has sat on the back end ... :crazy:

I like the interior though , very nice :cool:

Looks like a hearse!

Never liked estates that are simply the saloon with the roof extended. The original boot-line is very evident

Reminiscent of the Lynx Eventer - aka XJS Estate converted by Lynx Engineering in St Leonards.

If its only one of three, then its probably a prototype, I seem to remember there were a couple of rover sd1 prototype estates as well.

I like it, but its far too expensive for a 1989 jag!!

Bmc and Bl did quite a few experiments including this vdp 3 litre farina

Attachments

• VP3lE.jpg
    VP3lE.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Here's a rather more successfully-styled in-house prototype. Would have been a welcome and stylish addition to the XJ40 range...

2003nec_03.jpg

If its only one of three, then its probably a prototype, I seem to remember there were a couple of rover sd1 prototype estates as well.

Seems the one for sale is an after-market conversion rather than a prototype, so more along the lines of the Rover P6 Estoura than the SD1 estates.

heres the SD1............ i think it would have sold well had they put it into production

Attachments

• sd1estate_06.jpg
    sd1estate_06.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 214
  • sd1estate_08.jpg
    sd1estate_08.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 214
If you think that is nice, do a search for a photo of the Lynx Eventer - which was even 5mph faster than the XJS due to better aerodynamics! I still wish I'd bought the one I saw at the motor show in about 1985. I'm also envious of the couple in Three Tuns Corner, near Heathfield East Sussex, who had "his and hers" - saw them parked side by side in the pub there (called, funnily enough, the Three Tuns!).

Or this...

Attachments

• mercedes-benz-s-class-station%20wagon-2006-62.jpg
    mercedes-benz-s-class-station%20wagon-2006-62.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 173
There's something about cars that just shouldn't be an estate. Tasty.

Any one of the above would be worth triple points in my David Bellamy I-Spy Cars book from 1985!!

Remember seeing on of these in about '89 or '90 when my Dad was buying an XJ40. The Jaguar dealer in Liverpool (Jaguar House), called him up after just missing out on an ex demo XJ40 Sovereign to say that a Jaguar estate had come in and whether we'd want to have a look at it.

Like others on here have said it doesn't quite work, looks too much like the saloon. Can't remember who did the conversions but it wasn't that bad in terms of the fit / finish.

The principal reason I have never owned a Jaguar is they have never done an estate (other than the Mondeo X type which never appealed). That is a very unique car!

I'd like one of those.

Finally an XJS with usable space!

Here's a rather more successfully-styled in-house prototype. Would have been a welcome and stylish addition to the XJ40 range...

2003nec_03.jpg

That looks great and would have had great road presence.

The one in the first post could have been OK with a bit more thought to stop the rear end droop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom