Never seen one of these before.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a big fan of estates and it's a nice idea, but the rear end is just wrong. I do like the inhouse design though.

heres the SD1............ i think it would have sold well had they put it into production

Having seen this in the flesh I can say it's not very nice really. That rear shot makes it look like a MK1 Vauxhall Carlton.

Having seen this in the flesh I can say it's not very nice really. That rear shot makes it look like a MK1 Vauxhall Carlton.

Ah, but which one have you seen? Each of the two prototypes built had different tailgate treatments. The clamshell one shown on this thread is in the Haynes Motor Museum at Sparkford, while the earlier one with a recessed tailgate is in the Motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon.

This was spotted by a friend who runs an XJS Le Mans - a novel (and not ideal) way to transport wine.

0001w8.jpg

Ah, but which one have you seen? Each of the two prototypes built had different tailgate treatments. The clamshell one shown on this thread is in the Haynes Motor Museum at Sparkford, while the earlier one with a recessed tailgate is in the Motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon.

Good point. I've seen the one at Gaydon.
The tailgate on this one looks so much like a Carlton i wonder if it actually is, I think they had a clam-shell design.

400px-Vauxhall_Carlton_Caravan_in_Cambridge.jpg

Good point. I've seen the one at Gaydon.
The tailgate on this one looks so much like a Carlton i wonder if it actually is, I think they had a clam-shell design.

The MkI Carlton etstate definitely had a similar-looking clamshell tailgate, but it was not the same as the SD1 estate's. Apart from anything else, the Rover's tailgate was designed by Carbodies, who built the original clay buck for the estate in 1976, whereas the Carlton - and the Opel Rekord on which it was based - were not launched until 1978.

and the Opel Rekord on which it was based - were not launched until 1978.

But how long was it in development before launch. Cars used to take up to eight years to be developed and ideas sharing is common due to many designs coming from external design firms.

But how long was it in development before launch. Cars used to take up to eight years to be developed and ideas sharing is common due to many designs coming from external design firms.

Fair point, and there were no doubt plentiful examples of "shared inspiration" amongst the various car manufacturers.

However, BL's own ADO88 Metro prototype was sporting a clamshell tailgate as early as mid-1974, so the idea had obviously been knocking about for a while. There are also other examples that reached the market before the Rekord did (eg: the Mazda Familia/323).

This one was built for HM the Queen, dont know if it survives

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 69
I think the conversion on the Humberstone Jag isn't too bad, but I think the chrome roof rails, and the design of the tail count against it slightly. I was never a big fan of the XJ40 in saloon form:
As regards the VDP 3 litre countryman, if anyone is genuinely interested in an enormous project, here it is.
Austin Vanden Plas Princess 3 Litre Countryman on eBay (end time 01-Mar-11 21:28:17 GMT)
I've never been that impressed with the SD1 prototype, I think it could have sacrificed a little practicality for a little more rear-end style.
I rather like the Rover P6 Estoura though.

From aronline.co.uk:

A Princess 3-litre Countryman, finished in the bespoke royal shade of bottle green, was produced in 1963 in response to a commission from HM Queen Elizabeth. Two years previously, Vanden Plas had converted a Princess 3 litre saloon to shooting brake specification as a demonstrator for the Queen, keen to tempt her out of her Vauxhall estate cars. This evidently worked, as in 1966 a further order was received for a similarly converted replacement, this time based on the 4 litre R; this car remained in service until 1969. It is believed that a further five Vanden Plas Countrymans were produced, one of which was used by BMC Chairman George Harriman. Incidentally, once it had served its purpose, the 1961 demonstrator (registered 3030 MX) was despatched to Longbridge and was later used by Austin Chairman Leonard Lord; it has survived, and is today in the hands of an enthusiast.

I think the conversion on the Humberstone Jag isn't too bad, but I think the chrome roof rails, and the design of the tail count against it slightly. I was never a big fan of the XJ40 in saloon form:
As regards the VDP 3 litre countryman, if anyone is genuinely interested in an enormous project, here it is.
Austin Vanden Plas Princess 3 Litre Countryman on eBay (end time 01-Mar-11 21:28:17 GMT)
I've never been that impressed with the SD1 prototype, I think it could have sacrificed a little practicality for a little more rear-end style.
I rather like the Rover P6 Estoura though.

I think that might fall apart if you tried to move it!!

The The Sultan of Brunie had a W140 estate, enormous.

And 13 bids ?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom