Never trust a used car dealer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doe1000

Car
A170, C220 CDI
Recently bought a 220cdi estate from some indy dealer.
Error on my part and never checked the dash to see if the service was due.:doh: Discovered this on getting home, rang him next day and he said the car had and oil and filter change but he didn't reset the light.

I decided to do the change again as it has a DPF fitted and discovered the oil was as blacker than tar:devil:
The oil filter was a Mercedes branded one so I can only assume it was from the last service 10k+ miles before. The cabin and air filter were just as filthy.

Don't know why he had to lie. It could have in the long run cost me a lot more to repair.

Thankfully the car drives like new and no issues so far. :bannana::bannana:

Name and shame if he lied.

Decent, honest dealers are few and far between. Prefer to take my chance privately.

Always good to check anyway. Some real main dealer horror stories on here never mind the off dealer forecourt car sales people. Great you changed the cabin filter too the "blower" can now get on with doing its job. Squirt some water down the drain holes either side at the top of the engine compartment too just to make sure they are free of crud.

Good Luck

CHEERS

Diesel engine oil will go black instantly.. difficult to prove really.

A good dealer should do the service more for his own peace of mind...

Yes, when I bought the X5 (from a main dealer) it was the first diesel we'd owned. I checked the oil and it was black and thought it hadn't been changed. I then learned that it goes black straight away with diesels. Also, oil filters etc are pretty cheap from Mercedes so he may well have fitted a genuine filter.

I self service both of my diesel cars. After changing the oil I check the level after a few days to be sure the level is correct. As Jay said, the colour changes almost instantly.
Oil and filter is only ~£20 so the dealer had little reason to lie.

Ok. Just never seen oil that dark. Plus I didn't think oil filter look anything like 4 weeks old. Anyway I will give him the benefit of doubt. I will probably do another change oil change after 3k miles. I think I was more worried they may have put in standard oil instead of low ash. From the service records it had DPF and EGR replaced about a year ago.

And thanks for the tips

The oil goes black almost immediately in a diesel.

Maybe get your facts straight before tarring all used car dealers with the same brush, especially seeing as though you're otherwise happy with the car.

I put some spare Mobil 1 in my van after not bothering to service it for several years. The stuff I took out was like tar. Thick gloop. The van engine rattles like a bag of spanners now.

Maybe get your facts straight before tarring all used car dealers with the same brush, especially seeing as though you're otherwise happy with the car.

Hmmmm. I did get my facts straight.:confused::confused:

I accept that the circumstances are indeed suspicious, I've heard of sellers resetting the service indicator without actually servicing the car, but rarely the other way around...

Said that, I think it worked out for the best. Personally, in a DPF engine I would prefer a good MB-approved low-ash oil that's 10k old, to brand new budget stuff of unknown quality - that by the sound is it what your indie might have used had he actually done the service...

Of course I am assuming you did use proper 229.31/229.51 oil?

he said the car had and oil and filter change but he didn't reset the light.

Don't know why he had to lie.

Hmmmm. I did get my facts straight.:confused::confused:

Are you 100% sure that he didn't change the oil and oil filter?

You mention that the cabin filter was filthy, yet you say that the dealer didn't say that he'd changed it, so I'm not sure of the relevance.

You say that you're otherwise happy with the car, so why tar all used car dealers with the same brush?

Are you 100% sure that he didn't change the oil and oil filter?

You mention that the cabin filter was filthy, yet you say that the dealer didn't say that he'd changed it, so I'm not sure of the relevance.

You say that you're otherwise happy with the car, so why tar all used car dealers with the same brush?

SPX, I did say in my earlier post I will give him the benefit of doubt. He could have reset aysst and I will be none the wiser.
Sorry if I have upset you or any decent used car dealers out there with my post.

I think it is sound advice never to trust used car dealers.

I've had good and bad experiences with both indies and franchised dealers, but now I trust none of them and always check what they say they will do has been done, and when it has say thank you.

SPX said:

Good to see someone standing up for these unsung heroes. Perish the thought you might question the gentleman's word of a used car dealer. No doubt there are good ones out there but sadly the burden of proof is on the dealer to demonstrate credibility, such is the industry in which he works.

When we bought the disastrous used golf for SWMBO we were also told the car had been serviced with no stamp in the service book 'but I'll forward receipts in the post'. TBH I would probably get any used car serviced and inspected as soon as I got it.

Im having some bad experiences at the moment with a used car dealer that a bough my A4 from . Long story short
The car went back due to a fault with the gear box , 4 weeks later car back , problem is improved not fixed though . The HID bulbs removed , 800 miles extra on the clock ,temp sensor not fixed and only one tyre changed on the front , now odd sizes on the front .
I have since had a heated phone conversation with him and am wating for him to collect the car again .
The dealer is called Concept Cars and there in Dublin Ireland , I will happly name and shame .Im thinking now of demanding a full refund

Good to see someone standing up for these unsung heroes.

I like to try and deal with facts, not sarcastic comments.

Op buys a car that has supposedly been serviced and then complains that his oil is black. Fresh oil turns black almost immediately after you start the engine in a diesel.

Op then comments that the cabin and air filter are filthy, even though the trader didn't say that he changed these.

Other than this very little, shall we call it mix-up, the op is very happy with the car, yet he recommends to 'never trust a used car dealer'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to try and deal with facts, not sarcastic comments.

Op buys a car that has supposedly been serviced and then complains that his oil is black. Fresh oil turns black almost immediately after you start the engine in a diesel.

Op then comments that the cabin and air filter, even though the trader didn't say that he changed these.

Other than this very little, shall we call it mix-up, the op is very happy with the car, yet he recommends to 'never trust a used car dealer'.

It seems typical of this forum nowadays. people aren't interested in facts, science or engineering, they just want to talk rubbish and moan a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom