New 300 TE owner ignition key stuck in barrel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smifffies

Car
300 TE
Hi first post as just bought 300TE. Problem: ignition key stuck in lock, turns ok starts and stops car ok, just will not come out. Did a search of this forum and found lots of info on how to remove lock, following instructions was able to remove lock key turned ok and came out of lock when not fitted to inition barrel housing, as soon as i put it back in the housing same problem turns starts stops just will not come out!!

It looks as though previous owner fitted different ignition lock as key doesn't fit any other locks. Anyone got any suggestions or is it best to purchase a new ignition barrel, if that is the problem?
TIA
Martin

Hi, this seems to be a common problem with 201s and 124s. My mechanic changed the barrel on my e320 recently as they start to be problematic around 100k miles. It cost around £60 from the dealer for the barrel.

You can get an off-the-shelf key & barrel from the dealer or wait 3-5 days for a set keyed to your car. Probably the previous owner bought the unkeyed type when the barrel failed

My advice is, if you get the key to position 1 or 2, leave it in there till you fit a new barrel. Removing them in the rest position requires hard work & more money

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Ta for replies
I though new barrel was best just seemed strange that key easily removed when barrel out of housing but not removable when fitted to housing. I think i will get of the shelf as have 1 key for all other locks (will also get a spare for this as just plain metal type with no head). hopefully will not need to replace housing as bit more than 5 minute job!

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom