New 55" LED tv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Muscling in for a bit of advice here - I find my 40" Sony LCD a bit small - viewing distance from viewing seats ranges from 16 to 17 feet, and the shortest view is 13 feet away from the screen....trying to negotiate with Mrs PXW for a 52", but reading some of the posts here, am I setting my sights too low? iirc, a 50" has virtually twice the viewing area of a 40", so my guess is that the step to 50/52" should be enough...but there are some real experts on here who can put me right :eek:)

I would say that you should also have a look at SONY.

I am a bit of a film buff and thus, watch almost everything on HD and Blue-Ray.

Currently have 3 screens, one 43" Plasma (obsolete technology now but still ok picture for DVD's), one 40" LCD (fantastic picture) and 1 40" LED (even better picture).

Samsung's are also very very good, so are Panasonic's and LG's etc. So many to choose from.

Currently have 3 screens, one 43" Plasma (obsolete technology now but still ok picture for DVD's), one 40" LCD (fantastic picture) and 1 40" LED (even better picture).

Samsung's are also very very good, so are Panasonic's and LG's etc. So many to choose from.

Plasma obsolete - :D

I spent close to £5K on a B&O Avant back in 1995. Still got it, picture & sound are still fantastic. Even today it's still manages to amaze people. I'll eventually replace it with a newer B&O once it breathes it's last breath. I don't know when this will be, as these things were built to last.

How many people watch TV only in a darkened room during the evening ?

I tend to watch films only in a darkened room , but the living room TV is on during the day ( CBeebies as often as not ) with the curtains open and high ambient light level , as well as being used during the evening - for me the LED is the best all rounder - good during the daytime and still acceptable at night . Even the Panasonic 36" CRT TV it replaced tended to look dim on sunny days and I'd rate it better than any of the Panasonic/Sony/Samsung/NEC and other plasmas I've had home at one time or another .

I never watch in a darkened room, when I say in the evening I mean with lamps on rather than sun pouring through the window, this is how my room looks...
silver_5000_room.JPG

So still pretty light.
But I still find under this lighting that Plasma has far better blacks and therefore contrast ratio, which is what gives the depth and pop to an image.

As you say, excellent during the day and acceptable at night, for me I prefer acceptable during the day and excellent at night, when I am watching it. ;)

If it was a Pioneer 435, or an earlier 434 or 433, no wonder it is obsolete, they were really poor, even back in the day.
Washed out mess that frame rate converted as well, which gave anything but a smooth image.

I like the new Sony LCDs, quite a lot. Some of the cheaper ones have the better contrast panels too.

If it was a Pioneer 435, or an earlier 434 or 433, no wonder it is obsolete, they were really poor, even back in the day.
Washed out mess that frame rate converted as well, which gave anything but a smooth image.

I like the new Sony LCDs, quite a lot. Some of the cheaper ones have the better contrast panels too.

Maybe I should have been clearer that the 3 that we have, they are all Sony's. Been a Sony man for years... ;)

The 43" Plasma is now 6 years old and it is amazing how much technology have moved on from then and I don't think you can even buy Plasma's today. Everything is either LCD or LED.

OT: My father has the top-of-the-line B&O LCD and paid and absolute furtune for it (IMO stupid money :doh: ) and yes, the picture is fantastic. But he just got himself a Sony for the bedroom and now reckons the Sony has the better picture!

I am led to believe that B&O uses Samsung or Philips technology.

The 43" Plasma is now 6 years old and it is amazing how much technology have moved on from then and I don't think you can even buy Plasma's today. Everything is either LCD or LED.

OT: My father has the top-of-the-line B&O LCD and paid and absolute furtune for it (IMO stupid money :doh: ) and yes, the picture is fantastic. But he just got himself a Sony for the bedroom and now reckons the Sony has the better picture!

I am led to believe that B&O uses Samsung or Philips technology.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: obviously you have read all threads...:D

Right guys a little update.

After finishing at the office thought id nip in to local Currys on the way home and have a proper butchers without the wife and kids running around. Spent good part of an hour checking things out asking questions usual stuff, kicking tires almost.

Anyways i think I've made me mind (sort of) unless it changes over night again.

I had a look a the original Samsung 55" which was the 6000 SAMSUNG UE55C6000 55" Full HD LED TV buy online | Currys then the store assistant who was well clued up i must say knew quite a lot. Then I was drawn to the 6505 SAMSUNG UE55C6505 55" Full HD LED backlit TV buy online | Currys which as far as the assistant know is pretty much the same but has internet access so i can watch You tube and other media online via wifi connection. This is a must have as family would use this a lot.

So I speak to the manager who I know well sort of, bought a few items from this currys store in the past. I manage to get £100 off the asking price so he said he could do it for £1500 instead of £1600. Which to be honest was what i was about to pay for the 6000 model. They dont have any in stock and should be due some in soon. Could be a bit of a wait but that's no problem.

Whilst in store i did also check the Panny you were saying gIzzE it is pretty amazing i tried the glasses with the 3d and your right by far the best 3d image, the rest just don't compare to it.

The one thing that is annoying is that the Panny is really thick and it has put me off, plus its not as modern and cool looking as Samsung. I know the pic is better but these little things also make the decision tuffer.

So now i am on a mission to decide which one of the 2 to go for. Can anyone find the 6505 cheaper anywhere.

If you all had choice out of the 2 above which one would you all go. Spec price and design to consider.

Thanks again guys.

Nad

p.s one last little thought the led's they are edge lit led and rest lcd screen is that right or am i confused more. Do they not come in full led.

I spent close to £5K on a B&O Avant back in 1995. Still got it, picture & sound are still fantastic. Even today it's still manages to amaze people. I'll eventually replace it with a newer B&O once it breathes it's last breath. I don't know when this will be, as these things were built to last.

Off-topic but you must be rich! :thumb: The flat I live in cost £60,000 in 1999!

Found one more for the list all 3 are Samsung the model numbers are: 6000 6505 & the one at comet 6540 Buy SAMSUNG UE55C6540 | 55" LED BACKLIT TV - LED TVs | Comet this one has a newer stand is this the better of the lot.

Can someone little more tech advise, the best out of 3, gIzzE what if it was out the 3 which would you go for.

Thanks again mate, really appreciate the advise.

Nad

Right guys a little update.

After finishing at the office thought id nip in to local Currys on the way home and have a proper butchers without the wife and kids running around. Spent good part of an hour checking things out asking questions usual stuff, kicking tires almost.

Anyways i think I've made me mind (sort of) unless it changes over night again.

I had a look a the original Samsung 55" which was the 6000 SAMSUNG UE55C6000 55" Full HD LED TV buy online | Currys then the store assistant who was well clued up i must say knew quite a lot. Then I was drawn to the 6505 SAMSUNG UE55C6505 55" Full HD LED backlit TV buy online | Currys which as far as the assistant know is pretty much the same but has internet access so i can watch You tube and other media online via wifi connection. This is a must have as family would use this a lot.

So I speak to the manager who I know well sort of, bought a few items from this currys store in the past. I manage to get £100 off the asking price so he said he could do it for £1500 instead of £1600. Which to be honest was what i was about to pay for the 6000 model. They dont have any in stock and should be due some in soon. Could be a bit of a wait but that's no problem.

Whilst in store i did also check the Panny you were saying gIzzE it is pretty amazing i tried the glasses with the 3d and your right by far the best 3d image, the rest just don't compare to it.

The one thing that is annoying is that the Panny is really thick and it has put me off, plus its not as modern and cool looking as Samsung. I know the pic is better but these little things also make the decision tuffer.

So now i am on a mission to decide which one of the 2 to go for. Can anyone find the 6505 cheaper anywhere.

If you all had choice out of the 2 above which one would you all go. Spec price and design to consider.

Thanks again guys.

Nad

p.s one last little thought the led's they are edge lit led and rest lcd screen is that right or am i confused more. Do they not come in full led.

Haha, you tart!! :D

Mate, it is a piece of furniture, and it is the main focal point of many rooms, so of course you have to take design into consideration, and I agree, the VT20 is not the best looker. I actually prefer their V20 design wise, the non 3D version, and their best design is the luscious 54Z1.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either the above, I would definitely go with the internet version though, you can stream media from your computer to it as well, all very handy stuff.

One thing I forgot to say, don't buy an LCD if you are not mounting it at eye level, the image gets very washed out if you view them from below or above your eye level.

I had my Samsung 7000 above the radiator cover, which is about 4ft from the ground and it was unwatchable.

Sammy is well fit though compared to the fatty panny. LOL

What's your thoughts on the 6540 from comet (link above). Is it same TV with sexy stand or is it actually a newer model, had a look on Samsung's slooooow site cant find much on it.

Are all LED TV's LCD with led edge or are they full LED ?

My questions are non stop, just want to be sure.

Thanks
Nad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom