New A class review and feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FaeLLe

Car
SL55 Fab Design, E220 AMG Night Edition
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of picking up an Mercedes A160 5 Door Hatch 1.6 Sport Premium Plus Auto for the Mrs and was hoping to get some feedback from members on the forum.

Looks like I will have to get the COMAND and DAB upgrade too since the basic navigation is just poor.

Would appreciate any feedback from members on performance, driving feel and value for money.

Just got out of a three day test drive and it feels really smooth, similar to my E class even if not as responsive.

Thanks a lot!

How does the build quality compare to the E-Class ?
Since the A-Class has been launched, the close similarities to the Renault Megane has put me off it.

My son had an A180 petrol manual (from new) and now has an A220 diesel auto (bought at 6m old).

I am always amazed at the space inside a relatively small car and I can sit front or back with ease (see forum name). The build quality is decent and neither picked any squeaks or rattles.

There is a known issue with the rear offside (I think it is) light where the position lamp fails and MB replace the entire unit under warranty....a manufacturing defect. Other than that, touching wood, no issues.

Both of his have been the AMG styled models with 18" wheels and although some have complained about the larger wheels causing jarring, we've never found that. Undoubtedly, a smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre is going to more comfortable just as it would with most cars.

I would make careful comparisons- make the dealer work for their commission- between models and ask for copies of the build sheets for each potential purchase. They don't make it easy and the sales blurb can be misleading but there is no hiding from the build sheet.

As for the COMAND and DAB, I'm not convinced they are worth the extra expense but if you must have that rather than an aftermarket all-in-one system, I would get a quote from the guys in Lightwater (forum sponsors) for supply and fit and compare the price difference to a car that has/hasn't got it....MB and dealers make this a very expensive option.

It's almost worth going up the model range to buy a car that has it rather than purchasing it as a separate option, judging on the prices I was quoted by MB.

Other than that, they are comfortable enough for long journeys, small enough to be easy for round town but large enough not to cramped, making them an under-rated car in my view. When it comes time to change his car, my son will almost certainly have another A-Class.

Looks like I will have to get the COMAND and DAB upgrade too since the basic navigation is just poor.

If the car has Becker IMO this is not a poor navigation system. We had it for 4 years on a B180 Sport and it was a fine little unit.

Also got Becker in a Vito.

Ant.

^ That. No issues with my son's either. Bought new, software updated via the PC and it hasn't failed to find anything. Just don't buy it from a dealer....find a reputable source (not second hand of Ebay)......unless you can get to discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom