New abolish Road Tax Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aye.

But I agree with the sentiment. It should be directly on fuel, therefore a direct correlation between the tax and the amount of pollution produced, ending the ludicrous current system where a 6 litre V8 doing 500 miles a year gets charged more than a 1.6 petrol doing 50,000 miles a year.

I just had a look through some of the active petitions:D:D some are just ludicrous:doh:

Why would I sign this when my daily driver doing 30k a year costs £0 :doh::doh::doh::fail

Surely any such exemption should not apply to commercial vehicles, which should remain on fixed annual cost?

Otherwise the cost of food at your local Tesco/Asda/Morrisons will go up (as well as other transportable goods).

In fact the cost of fuel will go up anyway because of the higher cost of transporting it to the petrol stations... :doh:

He needs a spellchecker but the idea appeals to me...

Imho, based on what I read years ago, charges will one day be levied based on distance traveled, based on satellite tracking...coming one day?

Interesting to see an erroneous apostrophe in a post from one of our members criticising the English language skills of the petition's author!

But that's irrelevant here. Of course those with a high annual mileage will be against the idea, while those with a low mileage and currently high rated car will be for it. My thinking is that loading the fuel tax will be more effective at reducing pollution than the current rating system, which after all is what we're told it's all about. Those people concerned about the higher fuel tax may cut down on unnecessary miles, the best way there is to reduce pollution. Conversely, I know someone who deliberately uses his BMW 335 more than necessary because he's "paid a fortune to tax it so needs to get some money's worth". I think we should return to a flat rate VED, but only around £50, whilst upping fuel tax. The VED is useful for keeping track of ownership, MoT, insurance, etc.

If they were to introduce a tax based on usage or miles travelled, it would probably be in addition to VED, rather than a direct replacement.

All governments are striving towards 100% taxation, whereby they can recover everything we earn, and then some.

If the government want to look at something proper, let them look at the system that makes us working class people pay more tax than some people earning millions who pay little or no tax. A fair and equitable system would apportion tax more fairly, rather than allow those rich enough to afford clever accountants to dwindle their tax burden to zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom