New addition to the family

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Meet Leo a 9 week old Pomeranian boy :bannana: I would like advice on pet insurance, never had a pet insurance so any comments will be appreciated. I know "cover for life" is the best cover but which company....Directline, Morethan, Asda, RAC, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like a cute troublemaker!

Can't advise in insurance as we used to change companies and have felines!

Cute yes, troublemaker ill report back in the near future:crazy:

This time, I have gone with Direct Line. They seemed to have the best all round cover and price. Watch out for Total Payout on any single claim. One of my previous Husky's required ligament surgery £4.5k for the op alone.

Also make sure whoever you go with you keep all injections etc well documented (vets are not always good at this)

Looks like a great fun mutt. Enjoy.

Whilst car insurance offers basic levels, pet insurance varies enormously; single treatment, lifetime illnesses, yearly maximum limits etc. The main thing is to shop around, especially at renewal time because they do like to increase it…….ours doubled this year so John Lewis were kicked into touch and we went with Animal Friends this year. No claims in thirteen years means nothing either; the older the dog, the more expensive the insurance.

Very cute, I am with Animal friends and my choc lab, no issues with paying for treatment, they just forked out near on £400.00 on allergy testing, my dog is Allergic to house dust and meadow grass!

What GVM said :)

Vital to compare like-with-like when shopping around.

The best cover we could find about 2 years ago was with Aviva ... who have now withdrawn from pet insurance :wallbash:

Our approach is to insure our dogs (we have 6 at the moment) when they're younger and more likely to have mishaps (yet the premiums are lower). As they get older the cost of insurance goes up and often the excess too, whilst the percentage payout (per claim) drops. Beyond the age of about 8 there seems little point in insuring them ... you are better off just sticking some money into an emergency bank account (of course statistically that applies to all insurance policies!).

One small thing - by joining Dogs Trust (previously called the NCDL) you automatically get third party cover for your dog(s), which is worthwhile if you haven't got them insured.

Our approach is to insure our dogs (we have 6 at the moment) when they're younger and more likely to have mishaps (yet the premiums are lower). As they get older the cost of insurance goes up and often the excess too, whilst the percentage payout (per claim) drops. Beyond the age of about 8 there seems little point in insuring them ... you are better off just sticking some money into an emergency bank account (of course statistically that applies to all insurance policies!).

Completely agree with this.

One of the reason pet insurance is so expensive is due to the spiralling costs as a pet starts to get treatment and where that value ends up. Also the insurer can get tied in and have to pay for the treatment whatever the cost. You can't really put a Labrador beyond economic repair!!

There will only be one reason Aviva pulled out of the market, it is so hard to make money out of it. Notice how rarely you see pet insurance ads on TV?!?

Thanks all, does this quote look ok?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom