New alloy wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kam

Car
CLK320
Hi

Havent been able to post on here for some time, especially as my little one is now at that runabout age and keeping me busy.

Ok, down to the merecedes talk, when i last posted on here was when i was in the process of buying my E320 CDi, W211. Of course had bought that car back in Feb and have been enjoying its for some months, but now itching to get some modification on the way. (it has taken me 6 months to find these alloys at the right price)
So i have just bought these alloys:
2X FRONT PART NUM A219401 15 02
RIM WIDTH 8 1/2 J
2X REAR PART NUM A219401 16 02
RIM WIDTH 9 1/2 J
I beleive that they have come of an CLS55 AMG, now i need to know will these fit straight onto my W211, and what are the recommended tyres as they have come with no tyres so need to order these first of all. Also whart make of tryes would you recommend.​

I had CLS 18" wheels on my 211 and they bolt straight on. It will increase the track width but there is still clearance in the arches. (The CLS is a 211 in party frock with slightly wider track)
Are yours 18 or 19's ?
245/40/18 and 275/40/18 rear (or 35 section if 19's)
I used a few differnt types of tyres. Contisport 2's were ok but noisy, Goodyear FI were good as were Dunlop SP1s.:D

the alloys are 19", good to hear they will slot straight on.

I'm toying with a wheel swap on my W211.

It currently has (not very well) refurbished 17" twin-spoke which, being refurbished, have lost the high sheen finish which I like on this design wheel.

So if I'm going to put new wheels on, how much worse would the ride/noise/tramlining be with 18" compared to 17"? Not much would be my guess, but I would welcome comments from anyone who has actually done this.

I also seem to recall someone saying on here before that they had got hold of 18" Rucha (the 5 spoke alloy often seen on Avantgardes). Does anyone know anything more about these?

The 18" Rucha look-alikes are actually Rial DE's. I believe they are discontinued and thus hard to get hold of:

Wheel52.jpg

I had them on my car when I bought it but I swopped them off for some refurbed AMG IV's at the start of the year (forum member rajinder_1 took them off me for a very modest fee). As with a lot of wheels in this sort of price bracket they unfortunately don't keep their colour particularly well.

That's the wheel! I saw them on a site but they were only listing 17" ones.

Yes, they are fairly high maintenance, but the high sheen does look nice!

Have not been able to get the alloys on the car yet as i need to get one of them refurbished and get the rubbers fitted.
Will post some feedback on what the ride, handling, and noise difference is like going from 16" to 19"
im sure there will be noticable some differneces

I have the number of a good osteopath .... ;)

Hey Fady, I like your polished nuts :eek: on those 18"ers

I'm toying with a wheel swap on my W211.

It currently has (not very well) refurbished 17" twin-spoke which, being refurbished, have lost the high sheen finish which I like on this design wheel.

So if I'm going to put new wheels on, how much worse would the ride/noise/tramlining be with 18" compared to 17"? Not much would be my guess, but I would welcome comments from anyone who has actually done this.

I also seem to recall someone saying on here before that they had got hold of 18" Rucha (the 5 spoke alloy often seen on Avantgardes). Does anyone know anything more about these?

I have had two sets of CLS 18" wheels on my previous 211's.
The first set had the 9.5" rears with 275 ContiSport 2 tyres and the second had 8.5" rims all round with Goodyear F1's. These were replaced in winter by 16" rims with Dunlop SP9000's.
Despite the increase in offset with these, there was never any issues with tram lining and both tracked really well. The ride quality on the Conti's was a little worse than the 16" Dunlops but the main issue for me was the noise generated by the wide rears.
With the Goodyears you would have been hard pressed to feel any ride degredation and the noise level were much better. The grip and steering sharpness was much improved over the 16".
Don't think you'll have a problem after your 17":D

Last edited:
Still havent got wheels on the car yet, just been so busy with work. Have managed yo get one off the wheels refurbished from one of these franchise companies that visit the house, and he refurbed to a good level for only £45. I was impressed

Much esier than dropping off waiting a week and then collecting.

I will post some pics off the wheels when possible.

Finally have been able to get the 19" alloys fitted to the car. I must say it does look very impressive.
You do feel a difference in the ride but its not major. The handling is so much better than the normal 16" i had on the car. Only downside is you will feel the potholes or bumps on the road as expected on such a small sidewall, otherwise is stll very smooth.

I havent had a chance to wash the car and take some pics, but will do very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom