New alloys - advice requested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoros

Car
SL55 AMG
Advice please guys

My SL55 AMG has the following marks on my rear AMG IV, SPLIT RIMS:

10J x 19
EH2 ET28
A230 400 0202
T-X-D-6.

Tyres: 295 x 30 x 19.

I'm looking to buy other alloys to replace these slightly corroded/welded wheel.

What spec should I ask for? IE: load bearing? offset? etc.

What do each of these symbols stand for?

My fronts are : 9J x 19 with 255 x 35 x 19 tyres.

Many thanks in advance.

The most important detail when buying new wheels is the offset (ET) Get it wrong and you may need spacers or even worse, they may not fit at all.

I've copied a section of a chart showing genuine MB wheels (AMG/Brabus/Carlsson) and the ET required. You need to get new alloys within the range of the AMG ones shown below.
Your tyres have a load bearing which will be shown on the sidewall as a number (eg 97Y)
The chart HERE shows the load rating for tyres.

Attachments

• R230.JPG
    R230.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 27
AMG:

Couple of Q's?

What do all my codes mean in my above post?

If I am to retain my 9 x 19 front and 10 x 19 rear, what are the offsets?

Do alloys need load bearing minima's as well as tyres?

Thanks

Z

Advice please guys

My SL55 AMG has the following marks on my rear AMG IV, SPLIT RIMS:

10J x 19
EH2 ET28
A230 400 0202
T-X-D-6.

Tyres: 295 x 30 x 19.

I'm looking to buy other alloys to replace these slightly corroded/welded wheel.

What spec should I ask for? IE: load bearing? offset? etc.

What do each of these symbols stand for?

My fronts are : 9J x 19 with 255 x 35 x 19 tyres.

Many thanks in advance.

You have a 19" diameter wheel, which is 10" wide. The offset is 28.

That's what you should be looking for to replace your existing. The rest mean nothing.

AMG:

Couple of Q's?

What do all my codes mean in my above post?

If I am to retain my 9 x 19 front and 10 x 19 rear, what are the offsets?

Do alloys need load bearing minima's as well as tyres?

Thanks

Z

Those are production codes that mean nothing to the owner.

Try to get wheels as close as possible to ET28 front and rear.
Remember every mm higher moves the wheel closer to the hub. eg an ET38 would move the wheel and spokes 10mm closer to the caliper and hub and could foul. Every mm lower moves the wheel away from the hub toward the wheel arch.

I haven't heard of alloys having load bearing values. They must be fit for purpose. Basically, ensure they are Mercedes fitment.

I haven't heard of alloys having load bearing values. They must be fit for purpose. Basically, ensure they are Mercedes fitment.

It would appear that they do have load ratings. I bought some Brabus 17" alloys for my S211 to use as winter wheels, but found they required hub rings to ensure a proper fit. On trying to buy the correct rings, both Alloy Wheels Direct and Brabus themselves told me that the wheels did not have a high enough load rating for my car and not to use them. Anyone want to buy a set of 17" Brabus alloys? :)

It seems there are limits and rules but only in Europe??? TuV? (Germany) and ECE124 (pan european). But not in the UK.
They are heat, drop, torsionally and stress tested.

Interesting.

I have seen adverts where certain alloys are labelled "load tested".

The plot thickens.

Does the load rating change with the ET figure? - The further you move the mounting point from the center-line of the wheel, the greater the stress on the spokes (for example)?

I have seen pictures of alloy wheels failing on a track, but I've never head of it on the road. - I guess that doesn't mean much.

Can anyone answer the question does lowering the ET put undue pressure on the spokes? thanks

No

I would have though that the closer you are to 0, the stonger the wheel; simply because the mounting point is more central so the stress is transferred in a straight line.

I suppose it depends on the wheel though; I've got a set of OZ Superturismo WRC rims for the Nissan, and they're not as light as you might expect because they're made to be strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom