New alloys with budget tyres! LSD? questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

7om

Car
CLS55
Hey,

Got some new alloys, great...but they came with some budget tyres called Sailun Atrezzo, lol. Never heard of them and they are utterly useless!
Reminds me of Road Champs back on my old Renault 5!

Recently sold my standard 19's with 285 Bridgestone Potenza's last month and they seemed good but the new tyres are useless.

So, does anyone here with a heavy right foot use R888's? or know of any proven semi slick tyre on the CLS55 to get good grip on the rears? I don't really take the car out or push it in the wet so I only need to consider dry for performance.

Also, I have been wanting to get an LSD for a while now but I'm a bit confused as all the video's from a recent event show my car spinning up both the rear tyres...does this mean I could already have the 030 LSD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNwS1-hxuM

Do I have an LSD?

I'm fitting the PCS tank and 77mm pulley in the next few weeks so it's only going to get worse! ha

I run Toyo r888 on my track m3, and have them on my supercharged Toyota gt86 which I use as a sunny day runaround and occasional track tool. The 888 is a great dry weather tyre, and can be used as an all weather tyre, but they do not like standing water and will aquaplane easily.

Imo if you are leaving 11s which you appear to be doing, then you do indeed have a LSD

Why do you perceive a connection between both wheels spinning and an LSD?

I figure (rightly or wrongly) that if both wheels are spinning, the car is putting power through both axles rather than just letting one side spin like other cars I've had in the past. I know some diffs lock with friction clutches and others, e.g quaffe bias the torque instead, so to be honest I wouldn't know which is which, or if I even have either. If anyone can tell, please say, lol.

I think R888's are the way to go then, everyone seems to rate them so they must be ok. I know Hankook do a semi slick and wasn't sure if anyone else had a tried and tested tyre recommendation for these heavy RWD cars.

Cheers, Tom

7om said:
I figure (rightly or wrongly) that if both wheels are spinning, the car is putting power through both axles rather than just letting one side spin like other cars I've had in the past. I know some diffs lock with friction clutches and others, e.g quaffe bias the torque instead, so to be honest I wouldn't know which is which, or if I even have either. If anyone can tell, please say, lol. I think R888's are the way to go then, everyone seems to rate them so they must be ok. I know Hankook do a semi slick and wasn't sure if anyone else had a tried and tested tyre recommendation for these heavy RWD cars. Cheers, Tom
Hi Tom great little video , sounds really good ;)
Are you sure you can get those tyres in your size !! my continentals 5p perform great & would recommend them ,obviously depends on how you drive .

Cool, I'll have a look at reviews on the 5P. I try to take videos but I didn't do the camera mount up tight enough so it was shaky, need a better camera.

The next event is in 2 months, I got beat by a C63 estate (-0.2 sec over the 1/4). His launches were much better, no wheelspin and loads of grip but a slower ET so I need to work on the grip.

So, MBCLUB tech community, is there any way I can check to see if I've got an LSD and/or which type? Not sure if the YouTube vids will apply to my car?

Not certain if this works with Mercedes diff's, but with others you jack up both driven wheels and take it out of gear.
Turn one wheel and if the other wheel turns the opposite direction you have a normal open diff

Why do you perceive a connection between both wheels spinning and an LSD?

I used to have this perception.

However, I've since learnt from here that if the car has enough power, it will leave 11s anyway regardless!

Mine does and does not have an LSD.

I suppose from my point of view, I've been used to lesser power cars which used to spin one wheel when it was lighting up time!

Awesome car, what 1/4mile event was it ? and what was your times?

I have Conti 5P's just fitted four new ones and I do rate them. However if I was running 19's I would have gone with Michellin Pilot Super Sports. Had them on the M3 and they were noticeably better than the Conti's that came off.

Mine spins up both and has a LSD.

If you're wondering about an MB LSD perhaps it will show as an option on the datacard - do you have it?

Mine has 19" Super Sports and it lights them up with ease.

This is interesting mine rarely flashes the TC light unless it's wet

Hi,

Mine spins up both and has a LSD.

If you're wondering about an MB LSD perhaps it will show as an option on the datacard - do you have it?

I have the books etc but not sure if I have a data card? Perhaps MB will know if it has an LSD?

Is your traction control switched off btw ??

The traction control was turned off, the light just kept flashing and cutting power without. I did a run with the traction control on and it was high 14 sec.

If making 11's isn't a sign of an LSD then thats good as I will look into it further.

Awesome car, what 1/4mile event was it ? and what was your times?

1/4 and drift event at Perranporth Airfield, runs every 3 months. Here's a quick vid of one from the end of Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOgKym1oNI

My 1/4 time was rubbish, fastest 1/4 time was 12.92sec at 112mph. I put this down to a headwind and poor grip.

Cheers for all of the feedback and guidance. I need to get my heavy CLS shifting off the line.

Hi,

I have the books etc but not sure if I have a data card? Perhaps MB will know if it has an LSD?

If you take proof of ownership to your our dealer they should print off the Oasis report which includes the options fitted and build data etc. It's like the data card but with more info.

It would be a good starting point :thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom