New AMG exhaust fitted today - piccies!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex Argent

Car
E250 CDi Sport Auto
Thanks to Ian (B. Walker)'s wizardry, expertise and never ending supply of different sized hammers :)eek:), my AMG exhaust was fitted today.

It looks absolutely fantastic, and sounds....well, very, very growly :D

A couple of unforeseen mod's had to be carried out - widening the cut out in the rear bumper valance, and an adaptor pipe - which due to a supplier being closed for the day Ian ended up having to apply a bit of his genius and adapting one himself!

Thanks Ian for a job well done :bannana: - sorry it took longer than initially envisaged! I finally got home at about 8.00 pm (traffic problems all over) :crazy: .

The following pictures show:

1) Before
2) During
3) After

Sorry, seems I'm limited to three piccies here. Once I've given the car a good clean and polish over the next week or so, I'll post some better ones in the members gallery ;)

Attachments

• post 2.JPG
    post 2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 745
  • post 4.JPG
    post 4.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 740
  • post1.JPG
    post1.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 744
It was an absolute pleasure. I must apologise for the delay in "adapting" :rolleyes: the sleeve. How does it sound whilst driving. BTW Nice car, nice color. :rock:

Sorry Nav, you missed out :eek:

Well done Alex (and Ian) a job well done :bannana:

And what's the volume like.....I SAID WHAT'S THE VOLUME LIKE...?:D

Sorry Nav, you missed out :eek:

I'll ave to settle for my Remus box! Would have been nice to have that on my diesel, the tips pointing downwards would have saved people from my smoking habit :D

At least it ended up in a good home . . eventually.

I still look at the stock exhaust on the back of our "C" and remember the little "AMG" on the back of it. :(

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did for the short time I had it!

Looks good btw!

Hope it sounds as good as it did on mine!

Regards,

KJ

It was an absolute pleasure. I must apologise for the delay in "adapting" :rolleyes: the sleeve. How does it sound whilst driving. BTW Nice car, nice color. :rock:

Louder than what I had thought :D

Starting the car with no revs is best......just a deep grunt as it starts ;)

Accelerating gently is.......'groulish' :rolleyes:

Accelerating hard is......well, just exhilarating V6 mayhem :bannana::bannana:

The only 'down side' is that the interior noise level has increased by about 80dB :crazy: . I'll have a look at that joint of the adaptor in the morning - maybe there is a slight leak there.

If not, well I'll just have to get around to fitting that Bose amp I have here sooner than I intended......that should drown out any exhaust noise (or does anyone know any good double glazing companies around here?) :D :D

At least it ended up in a good home . . eventually.

I still look at the stock exhaust on the back of our "C" and remember the little "AMG" on the back of it. :(

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did for the short time I had it!

Looks good btw!

Hope it sounds as good as it did on mine!

Regards,

KJ

Thanks KJ. Shame the missus didn’t get on with it in the first place :confused:

Thanks everyone for the interest shown (oh, and sorry Nav, I didn't realise you were bidding too :( ).

As I said in my first post, I'll get some decent pictures on the members gallery once I get a chance to give the car a good clean and polish.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
The only 'down side' is that the interior noise level has increased by about 80dB :crazy: . I'll have a look at that joint of the adaptor in the morning - maybe there is a slight leak there.

Alex

I've never had an AMG box that is noisy!

The Remus box i fitted to my W203, has a slight growl on acceleration, certianly not excessive by any means.

Did you remove your centre box as well as your rear box when you fitted the new one?

Don't forget that tat exhaust is designed for a 3.0 litre AMG diesel, so won't be tuned according to your car.

And what's the volume like.....I SAID WHAT'S THE VOLUME LIKE...?:D

PARDON ME - I CAN'T HEAR YOU WITH ALL OF THAT NOISE :D :D :D

(Seriously, it's ermm........loud :bannana: )

Alex

I've never had an AMG box that is noisy!

The Remus box i fitted to my W203, has a slight growl on acceleration, certianly not excessive by any means.

Did you remove your centre box as well as your rear box when you fitted the new one?

Don't forget that tat exhaust is designed for a 3.0 litre AMG diesel, so won't be tuned according to your car.

Hi Nav

Yes, the centre box was part of the new system, so Ian changed the whole thing 'like for like'. There didn't look to be a great deal of difference between the centre boxes though, however the rear box was significantly different! I appreciate it is probably 'tuned' for a Diesel, but cannot understand that it would make it much louder - a 3 litre AMG tuned Diesel is pushing out as much (if not more) sewage as my meagre 3.2L petrol.

Let's see how it goes for a while. I still have the old one so if the worse comes to the worse..................;)

Hi Nav

Yes, the centre box was part of the new system, so Ian changed the whole thing 'like for like'. There didn't look to be a great deal of difference between the centre boxes though, however the rear box was significantly different! I appreciate it is probably 'tuned' for a Diesel, but cannot understand that it would make it much louder - a 3 litre AMG tuned Diesel is pushing out as , much (if not more) sewage as my meagre 3.2L petrol.

Let's see how it goes for a while. I still have the old one so if the worse comes to the worse..................;)

Was the new rear box smaller? If so then thats the cause of your excessive volume.

The AMG diesel is more powerful than the 320, but it air flow is different. AMG boxes are tailored to each engine to optimise the sound/performance.

The centre box in the pics looks alot smaller than the centre box on my diesel, was wandering if swapping the centre boxes would quieten down. But tif the rear box is small then that would be the cause. If its a boomy sound then its the rear box.

The Remus rear box i fitted is actually larger than my OEM box! Am very happy with the sound, doesn't boom but has a growly tone. Nothing that would bother the occupants of the car though!

Loud exhausts only really sound good on the V8s, that sweet rumble :devil:

If I'm not mistaken, a diesel engine makes a lot less noise than a petrol, Diesel has a slower explosion, or burn, whereas a petrol is a lot quicker, more like a 'crack' rather than a 'pop' of a diesel. So I should imagine the baffling for a diesel exhaust would be much less to get the same resultant noise, so fitted to a petrol I would imagine it's going to be louder.

Just a theory I have. ;)

Ciao.

p.s. And what a lovely morning down here! :) :) :)

Certainly the AMG rear box I put on my SL made no difference, noise-wise.

I have a C32 AMG exhaust fitted to my W203 C320. Under normal driving it's not really any different, however on startup and whilst drive hard it sounds fantastic :devil: Particualrly effective in tunnels and underground carparks - even the wife loves the sound it makes :D

Wish i could get hold of that... then i'd just get a down pipe from the engine to the back box with no centre box... distant dream :(

Chaps there are two basic kinds of "AMG exhaust".

There is the accessory exhaust for non-AMG models and there is the factory-fitted AMG model exhaust.

If you fit the accessory item to the correct car it makes no noise difference.
If you fit the AMG factory item to the correct AMG model it makes no noise difference
If you fit the AMG factory item to any other car then it makes about a LOT more noise due to the size of the rear box, it's designed for about double the flow of gasses depending on model!

Helppppp!

Hi,

Im new to MBClub and also a new MB owner. I have a 2003 C320 Avantarde in Silver. I have fitted the facelift grille and now want to fit an amg exhaust but as stated, one thats tailored to the car.

Also what other modifications can I do performance wise?

I'm not thinking supercharger etc just simple mods.

Any help appreciated.

cheers

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom