New AMG Throttle body fitted on E55 by PCS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
Just got back from spending the morning at PCS, with Ollie and Jack, albeit I expected to be there all day, to have a new AMG 80mm throttle body fitted, along with associated AMG parts, to replace my OEM one. Its been money well spent.
The fittment entails quite alot of dismantling of the engine, IC, and supercharger both have to come out, as does the fuel rail and numerous other parts, this made me very nervous of this treatment to my pride and joy. Ollie had not done this particular tb modification before, so I had done lots of research primarily on the US forums, where this had been done many times, mainly to reassure myself it was a mod worth doing and also to make sure I had dotted the I,s and crossed the t,s, if anything of unexpected nature arised during this operation.
Ollie and Jack just got on with it, with the odd look at my notes, by 12.15 the car was being refueled with coolant and being started, thrid pull (bear in mind the fuel rail had been out), it fired up, initially a little lumpy on tickover, Jack reved it up a little, and it settled down and ticked over as it use too. It was then put on Star, to check for problems, nothing found, 12.40PM Ollie had the car out on the road to test drive, car back together, no leaks, no error codes. Great job by the lads at PCS.
I then got to drive the car back home, aprox 50 miles, and whilst I have not driven it hard, as the ECU needs to got through a learning curve re the extra air intake, I did give it a few prolonged blips to see if there was any changes, the car is reving much more freely and definetly much more responsive, and whilst at the moment I did not appreciate any noticable diffence from intial take off, there is a big big difference from the 2K area, the car pulls a lot harder (and keeps going) than it did, albeit I only went to 5K today, I will give it 100 miles plus then see what it can do, wished I,d had this fitted for the Goodwood trackday we,ve just had, would have been very intresting to see how it faired.
This fittment has cost me about £1100, (one new part sourced from Ebay half price), fitted, general consenus in the US with this mod is around a 20BHP gain, and additional torque gains, and unless you knew the car well, the whole package is an AMG fittment parts wise, so looks totally OEM. There are other makers of this mod kit out there, but this I thought was good value for money.
The down side, one I forgot to take my camera with me, and two, am expecting the MPG to drop slightly.
Thanks again to PCS, Ollie and Jack, my hands are nice and soft now, spent most of the morning washing up the T cups LOL!

They made you wash up the Teacups....:doh:

Sounds like a very good mod.

your E55 has too much power already!

your E55 has too much power already!

Sean, as you know my friend, you can NEVER have enough!

I have one more mod to do, then thats it, its as far as I am going, but thats for next year.

No mention of Hob Nobs though - is the world starting to tilt sideways???

Sean, as you know my friend, you can NEVER have enough!

I have one more mod to do, then thats it, its as far as I am going, but thats for next year.

I want to a drag race with you to see how much quicker your car is :)

as it is, from a standing start, my standard car loses traction!

Last edited:
I want to a drag race with you to see how much quicker your car is :)

as it is, from a standing start, my standard car loses traction!

Sean, your tormenting me, are,nt you, I will crack under the pressure! LSD my friend, that the secret!
PS: loved your company and banter Saturday

Sean, your tormenting me, are,nt you, I will crack under the pressure! LSD my friend, that the secret!
PS: loved your company and banter Saturday

you are fitting a limited slip diff ??

or are you saying LSD improved your driving on Sat :D

I asked AMG in Germany about that .. they wanted Euro 4,200!! And that was in 2010, so probably more now.

you are fitting a limited slip diff ??

or are you saying LSD improved your driving on Sat :D

I asked AMG in Germany about that .. they wanted Euro 4,200!! And that was in 2010, so probably more now.

Sean, already got a Quiafe LSD fitted, and whilst i drive on the road like my grandad, to which I dont have any benifit from on the road, but on the track, moreso Goodwood last Saturday, its money well spent, I can and do control the power so much more or the corners, to power out of them, and what I found, the more you get used to it, the more you use it, even for my lowely driving ability.
This said, I have promised wifey, that no more track days, so its a bloody waste of money!

regards Ricky

PS: Had my fingers crossed behind my back, when that statement was made, god, hope she does not read THIS! I will be found out! DIIIVOIRCCCE

Ricky, nice write up, good mod, cant wait to hear all about it!

is there much difference on the AMG enlarged throttle body compared to the aftermarket ones from the like of CKS? This is something that i want to do next year when funds become available,. My shopping list is getting bigger and bigger

is there much difference on the AMG enlarged throttle body compared to the aftermarket ones from the like of CKS? This is something that i want to do next year when funds become available,. My shopping list is getting bigger and bigger

I would imagine there all much the same gains, this said whilst the one I have just had fitted is part no. as a 80mm body, its actually 78mm, lots of the US guys are fitting 82mm bodies, but this involves a bit of machining parts to make it fit, but more air more gains I am told.
Regards CKS, thought you,d be better off talking to Brabus K8 on this forum, (Acid), or Ollie at PCS, who have just done my modification, I am sure either would be of help to you in the mods department.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder if something could be fitted on a C43 M113.940 engine :) That would be nice IMO

I would imagine there all much the same gains, this said whilst the one I have just had fitted is part no. as a 80mm body, its actually 78mm, lots of the US guys are fitting 82mm bodies, but this involves a bit of machining parts to make it fit, but more air more gains I am told.
Regards CKS, thought you,d be better off talking to Brabus K8 on this forum, (Acid), or Ollie at PCS, who have just done my modification, I am sure either would be of help to you in the mods department.

thanks, Brabus (acid) is the person who i deal with regarding my mods, he definitely knows his stuff, is all about the cars, :bannana: and a really nice guy.
He will be doing my Brakes and bodywork changes next year..

hey
Ricky good news MORE POWER!! lol

If anyone want the part numbers for a 82 mm TB let me know......

Soon we all need to run the 1.4 mile!!!

Acid

Hmmm, I wonder if something could be fitted on a C43 M113.940 engine :) That would be nice IMO

Indeed this is v interesting to me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom