new and thinking of geting a 190 2.5 d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haggisthebadger

been thinking of geting a cheap merc for a while now and realy like the sound of the 190 diesel 2.5, whats a reasonable price and what do i need to look out for fault wise? also, is there a reliable dealer in norfolk who would have one?

i know nothing about merc 190s apart from they have the reputation of being well over engineered... which is the attraction to them.

cheers

Andy

Welcome, fella.
The 190D 2.5 is becoming a rarer beast as folk snap them up for WVO projects, but don't despair - 1980s used cars are peanuts right now, and you shouldn't have to spend much more than £1500 to get a really rather great example.
The cars are extremely tough, and depending on the physical bulk of previous owners, even 150k-mile cars can have near-immaculate interiors.

As for the Norfolk dealer connection, you could do worse than put a Wanted ad on this site, and also mercedes190.co.uk. Many cars being put up for sale, it's a buyer's market.

Good luck ;)

Welcome. Good choice of car!! Very well built.

The 2.5d will run superbly on Veg Oil and the price of it is starting to fall....

dont expect it to be fast though!!

been thinking of geting a cheap merc for a while now

there is a well known saying; "there is nothing as expensive as a cheap merc" ;-)

slow...

speed is not really the issue, currently have a turbo mk2 MR2 which is bloody quick but i never use the speed as i now have 9 pionts.... last time was a careless 52 in a 30 :-( . so don't need something to get me the last three points!

i need something that is reliable and not going to fall apart in a hurry.

theres nothing more expensive than a knackered MR2!!!

i like the thought of running it on veg oil, it was another attraction to the 190 diesel

there is a well known saying; "there is nothing as expensive as a cheap merc" ;-)

Normally I'd agree, but at the moment, this is simply not true.
Spares are everywhere as these cars get broken at an alarming rate.
Get yourself over to Pistonheads, you can pick up VERY respectable 190E 2.3-16s for about £3.5k - these are cars that would have been well over £5k a year ago.
As for more 'run-of-the-mill' W201s, a member of the UK owners club had such trouble shifting his W201 (a tidy 2.0 Sportline example, for a bargain price of £500) that he ended up raffling the car off on the forum.
30-odd members put a tenner in each, and the next National Lottery draw decided the winner.

Honestly, I would fill a container ship with these cars if I could, their build quality is truly unrepeatable and prices are on the floor.

Normally I'd agree, but at the moment, this is simply not true.
Spares are everywhere as these cars get broken at an alarming rate.
Get yourself over to Pistonheads, you can pick up VERY respectable 190E 2.3-16s for about £3.5k - these are cars that would have been well over £5k a year ago.
As for more 'run-of-the-mill' W201s, a member of the UK owners club had such trouble shifting his W201 (a tidy 2.0 Sportline example, for a bargain price of £500) that he ended up raffling the car off on the forum.
30-odd members put a tenner in each, and the next National Lottery draw decided the winner.

Honestly, I would fill a container ship with these cars if I could, their build quality is truly unrepeatable and prices are on the floor.

i do agree with you - W124s are very similar - plenty of cheap 2nd hand parts.

all i mean was that if buying a £500 version (no idea of OP budget) it could easily cost over that in repairs a month later. It seems best (as with w124) to buy a more expensive one that has hopefully less issues. Of course there are exceptions to this and bargains can be found!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom