New arrival - wife not happy, but I am alive to tell the tale..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks fantastic - be interesting to see if the numbers stack up as predicted ;)

I'm currently reviewing my sensible depreciation proof/ foolish thirsty moneypit CE as I seem to have spent the next 3 year's budget in the last 3 months and not even got the wheels done yet...:rolleyes:

Keep us posted.

Ade

Hello

Looks very nice, don't know how you managed to wangle that with the little un,

Well, she had a SLK b4 firstborn became a reality. She now swans about in a W209 so she cant really complain THAT much.

Plus I just started 3 months garden leave and of course "I need a car for getting to job interviews honey!":cool::cool:

She got the garden redone this summer at my expense - so when she did show signs of distress, I calmly pointed to some nice bits in our garden and I think the penny dropped.... for now:crazy:

ShinyF1 said:
Does it fit in the garage?

Not even close!

Thanks for all the positive comments! When I am filling up and the meter goes past £85, all of these good wishes take the sting away!

Theres a thought - If fill up at Tesco - and keep the clupcard rewards - I can take Mrs M away for the weekend - so my purchase ultimately has a good side!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello,

Whats it doing to the gallon have you had much chance to work it out?

My last fill up was 16.8mpg but it was towing to the lakes and back so not too bad..

Enough about you already - what about the car? :D :D

Dieselman beat you to it this time :D.

You two should get together and tour the UK with a stand-up act :devil:.

Is this the start of a "How to" thread??
"How to: successfully get car past other half" ???

Theres a thought - If fill up at Tesco - and keep the clupcard rewards - I can take Mrs M away for the weekend - so my purchase ultimately has a good side!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Well done on the purchase.

On a serious note for a mo - not sure whether/not you've been in the position before, but if you use the pay at pump (i.e. max £60) don't try to have a second go to fill up the additional £25. It will block your card!

Hello,

Whats it doing to the gallon have you had much chance to work it out?

My last fill up was 16.8mpg but it was towing to the lakes and back so not too bad..

I'm getting between 260 - 320 miles per tank. But then I have 'been having fun with my new toy' :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Unfortunately I have not been able to do a whole tank on mostly motorways - but I did 160 miles on the M1/M62 and it got down to half a tank. After a few more fill ups (!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:£££££€€€€$$$$:eek::eek:) I'll get some average figures for us all to laugh out loud at.

Should I offer to pick up Al Gore and take him for a spin?:rolleyes:

looks great...makes the other cars in the street look very boring! :)

Last edited:
looks great...makes the other cars in the street look very boring! :)

Thanks Cat,

It looks great but I am feeling the need to tweak desperately! The sound is a bit placid, so some kind of exhaust mod is definitely in order. Also - the throttle response has some lag - it takes a bit of travel on the pedal to get anywhere. Don't get me wrong - when it does kick in - well hold on to your nads:rock::rock:, but it seems to take a heavy foot - so I need to investigate that.

However, I am getting lots of looks - and apart from the ones from Mrs M, all seem to be good!

Oh yes, i did forget to mention that to you... mine was the same, its a matter of fetlling with the throttle mechanism which is easily accesible under the air filter... wear some gloves though as its a very oily/messy job..

you can just adjust up the various mechanisms to take out the slack..

The sound is a bit placid, so some kind of exhaust mod is definitely in order.

Start by having a straight-through pipe fitted in place of the centre box ... quick & cheap. You might want to see what your insurer's position is on this first though - some are more bothered than others.

Ive seen it for real, and driven it, and i can tell you all its a good un!

Enjoy matey...
seconded ;)

Start by having a straight-through pipe fitted in place of the centre box ... quick & cheap. You might want to see what your insurer's position is on this first though - some are more bothered than others.
been telling you this :rolleyes:

I had a blue 560 a few years ago great car
The MPG can be painful between 12 and 16 although I did get nearly 18 once.
Looks like a very good car enjoy.

well i get 18.5-21 out of mine on average...

Will having the straight through affect the performance/mpg?

Will probably increase power by a very small amount ... nothing you'd notice without a dyno though (and possibly not even then).

I get between 15-18mpg out of mine, but I never really drive it economically. Although my engine is now at 175,000 miles (I have a new factory turnkey engine waiting to go in once I've got it booked in for the bodywork/respray).

The front speakers are a pig, they're three and half inch and a nit of an odd size, I had Alpine speakers fitted in my car (not sure which ones) along with a Nakamichi head unit (which retains the period design and sounds fantastic).

These cars are just great, even after owning mine for 18 months it's no less exciting going for a drive in it.

My car came on similar wheels (Replicas) which were 18" and I thought it drove and handled quite harshly so I replaced them with period 17" BBS RS wheels with Goodyear F1's - the ride was transformed (and the speedo started reading correctly!)

A couple of old pictures of my car - I offered to lend it to my father for a couple of weeks whilst it was part way through a refurb, that was April.....I might get it back this week........

PICT0909.jpg

PICT0907.jpg

A few more pics of how it was when I picked it up, it's one of those cars that looks great from 20 feet away, but when you get close up you realise that there's quite a lot of work required, which is why I have new wings, new doors, all the chrome on the bodywork and a new engine for it.....it's going to take a while but it's a keeper so it will be worth it.

eBaysec.jpg

eBaysec6.jpg

eBaysec5.jpg

eBaysec4.jpg

eBaysec1.jpg

eBaysec2.jpg

Hi all,

Have only just joined the board but it looks like my past experience is highly relevant to this thread.

I bought a 500 SEC in 1994 when it was 6 years old. Cost £17950 against the new price of £55000 or so. Have kept it in pretty much pristine condition since then whatever it cost because it was far cheaper than a replacement and in any event it is such a charismatic vehicle that the newer models just held no attraction for me.

Now if I'd been doing 30K miles a year in it I doubt that the economics would have worked out. Whatever one spent on it over a 14 year period at that rate of mileage every part would have needed replacement at least once and it would still be a tired worn out old car. In fact I've done about 5000 miles a year so I'm still just under 130K miles.

Over the 14 years I've given it regular rust repair, a full respray, a full retrim, an engine rebuild and a myriad of minor failures dealt with. However it might get £10K if I ever sell it against a cost of £17950 14 years ago. If you keep and enjoy a vehicle of such style and quality for that long it is bound to be an economic prospect bearing in mind that the modern equivalent would cost over £100,000 if Mercedes quality had been maintained at the same level.

I still enjoy it and will keep it indefinitely. Even the wife finds it easy and light to drive despite the size. Additionally it is true that continuing to run it is much better for the environment than causing a new vehicle to be created.

Three years ago, realising that I needed to keep the SEC mileage under control I bought a 320CE. It was not in the best of condition but it had a factory fitted AMG body kit which nicely supplemented the Lorinser bodykit I had put on my SEC. I now swap between the two and enjoy both of them.

Now technically the CE was not a good buy. I've had to do a lot to it. Embarassment prevents me from specifying the total cost but now it is virtually as new so if I hang on to it the cost will be worthwhile.

I do not envisage replacing or disposing of either vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom