New Audio 20 owner, voic dialling problems. Pls advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longfellow78

Car
2016 C Class 220d Amg Line
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2016 W205 with Audio 20 and am having some problems understanding it (is there such a thing as firmware updates for this system btw?)

- I want to try voice dialling, but when I press the voice button, it goes straight to Navi (which is not currently installed).

- I did read someone with an ideantical problem and he was advised to hold down the button for 3 seconds to transfer to phone, but this does nothing on my system. I am wondering if it is because my phonebook is not copied over but when I try and copy it nothing happens. Car appears to be waiting, but phone gives no message. Any advice please?

- My second problem is that bluetooth only seems to connect the phone, not the media audio/spotify. I know that audio streaming and phone use different bluetooth protocols, and older cars can only handle the phone one, but surely a 2016 mercedes can do this? I can't however seem to make it work.

Any advice very appreciated.

Thanks.

Firmware updates are one via STAR. Your dealer can do this, and also www.comand.co.uk can do this.

Re the dealer, if the car is still under warranty, point-out to them the issues you are experiencing with the Audio20 and they should update the firmware for free.

Said that, I don't know if a firmware update will resolve the specific issues you described above (but it is still recommended).

Thank you for the reply - so the car definately is supposed to be able to voice dial by holding down that voice button instead of pressing it then?

The car is out of warranty from Mercedes but the used dealer gave me a 3 month warranty, but I don't know if they are able to do it. I might ring my local mercedes dealer. Thanks a lot :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanjs for the videos. However my settings don't look like the last video. There are no voice setup settings. In fact there are very few settings. Not sure what's going on here. Maybe I have a super old firmware? 15570855947493163358996091353341.jpg

Probably the YouTube clips I posted refer to the higher-end COMAND unit, while your's is an Audio20.

To be clear I have audio 20 not comand. But surely even audio 20 has voice dialling?

Try this:

I press and hold and nothing happens. Can anyone confirm that audio 20 has voice dialling?

I have solved the media audio problem. I hadn't connected the second Bluetooth media pairing. So that's cool. Still no voice dialling, which I had on my 2006 fiat punto, so I can't believe my merc doesn't have it!

edit:

Well incredibly, I have found out that Audio 20 does not have voice dialling at all unless you have COMAND.

This old thread here confirms this. To say I am flabbergasted is an understatement. With Mercedes reputation for safety, I can't believe that they would compromise safety by you needing to take your eyes off the road and manually select dialling when my old car from 13 years ago had this feature. Shameful. Thanks a lot for all the help though, great community here :)

Need a little help - voice control for phone - MBWorld.org Forums

Last edited:
I can confirm no voice dialling.

My later (2017) car does have Siri eyes free/Android whatevertheycallit when you hold the voice button down for three seconds and that is what I use.
Much more reliable than proprietary systems.
A firmware update may be possible on yours to update to this.

I have solved the media audio problem. I hadn't connected the second Bluetooth media pairing. So that's cool. Still no voice dialling, which I had on my 2006 fiat punto, so I can't believe my merc doesn't have it!

edit:

Well incredibly, I have found out that Audio 20 does not have voice dialling at all unless you have COMAND.

This old thread here confirms this. To say I am flabbergasted is an understatement. With Mercedes reputation for safety, I can't believe that they would compromise safety by you needing to take your eyes off the road and manually select dialling when my old car from 13 years ago had this feature. Shameful. Thanks a lot for all the help though, great community here :)

Need a little help - voice control for phone - MBWorld.org Forums
Funny, that, I had Audio20 in my W204 and I can't recall if I was able to voice dial... I suppose I wasn't (I have since upgraded to COMAND which - as said - does support it).

And, the link you posted explains why pressing the voice button takes you straight into NAVI...

You need Linguatronic, via Comand, for voice control.

It could be argued that the car is safer without it as then you can’t be distracted by holding a telephone conversation whilst driving

...It could be argued that the car is safer without it as then you can’t be distracted by holding a telephone conversation whilst driving

Well, you still can, as long as you dialled by choosing the number from the menu using the steering wheel buttons... not having voice control does not eliminate the possibility of making calls using the car's infotainment system.

All I meant was that this function would have been almost free to implement, but they kept it for a more expensive option, when clearly voice dialling is much safer than manually searching phone book. Especially when driving without hands free calling us illegal in the UK, and I don't consider the non voice dialling system to be hands free.

Its pretty disgusting by MB to be honest (given peanuts implementation cost and its been a standard feature on low end cars for over a decade) but I will use my phone on a dash mounted magnetic charger instead.

Thanks all.

Not as bad as deliberately putting a non removable foil into the roof of an slk so they can charge more for the roof without the foil that lets light in.

Funny, that, I had Audio20 in my W204 and I can't recall if I was able to voice dial... I suppose I wasn't (I have since upgraded to COMAND which - as said - does support it).

And, the link you posted explains why pressing the voice button takes you straight into NAVI...

Interestingly ...in my B class Audio 20 I can sometimes get it to, by holding down the linguatronic button for 3-5 secs and a bluetooth android phone connected ... launch google voice type... so you can send texts via voice...! Weird!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom