New audio head unit w169

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carabind

Car
W212
Hi, I have the standard Merc Audio head unit On my 2011w169
I have seen pics elsewhere on a different thread of a new one with apps and a reversing camera. think GLK posted it bt I cant pm him as I’ve not posted enough so far

Anyone been down this route, how hard And expensive is it?

Reactions: GLK
Hi, I have the standard Merc Audio head unit On my 2011w169
I have seen pics elsewhere on a different thread of a new one with apps and a reversing camera. think GLK posted it bt I cant pm him as I’ve not posted enough so far

Anyone been down this route, how hard And expensive is it?
@GLK

Thanks for the heads up @Alfie :)
(I hope the brake pads are okay?)

@Carabind - yes I have done it, and was very happy with the result, although it must be said - these cheap Chinese units can be hit and miss reliability-wise.
Just because I didn't have any problem with it, doesn't mean they all trouble-free.
Mine ran perfectly for over three years, cost me £253 and was truly plug-and-play: couldn't be simpler to instal.
I sold the car recently, but have plenty of pics, should you want to see some.
I'll PM you ... ah, right - apparently not.
It used to be that private message can be sent, so a member with not enough posts can reply, but not anymore, it seems.

Well, I have taken the plunge and mine is in its way from China via amazon. Have also ordered the mic, apple play and dab extras too

Is it a model-specific unit? Hopefully with octa-core, 4GB RAM and 64GB NAND? :)
Let us know how you get on with it ...

Couple of tips, from memory:

Mark all incoming connectors, particularly RCAs, with little tags - makes it easier to re-arrange things.

You might found you'll need an RCA female-female adapter for your reversing cam (might not - depends on a model you get).
Make sure you can disable static parking guide - the unit will get the dynamic guide from steering wheel position via CANbus.

There will be a lot of redundant connectors and ports - you'd need to read description / guide carefully and not try to plug everything into everything.
CANbus decoder box (unless built-in already, like in the very latest models) is the most important one - check you're linking it correctly to the QuadLock - again: read the guide, however muddled it might be.

Same with reversing cam: trigger wires mostly redundant, as if connected correctly it gets the signal from the head unit.

A good supply of Tesa tape and 10-20mm self-adhesive felt will make the whole setup neat and quiet (nothing worse than stuff knocking about behind the dash).
A few small cable ties, or better still - velcro cable wraps help a lot too.

Be careful not to place the GPS receiver on top of the passenger airbag - might seems like a perfect location, but ... ;) Central speaker mesh might theoretically impede reception as it's metal - I fitted mine between these two, and never had a problem.

Should probably stop now ha-ha ...

no keep going, all good stuff. Just a shame you’re not nearer 🤣

So sir...... it’s a ZLTOOPAI and it’s merc specific covers a few W numbers
spec is

Android 10​

Octa Core​

4G RAM​

64G ROM​

HD Screen​

Double Din In Dash Auto Stereo​

GPS​

DVD Player​

the amazon code is B07T1P29VL just in case anyone wants a look.

I asked The seller a few Questions before I paid up, he sent the installation instructions and they look straight forward, he looks like he provides decent after sales too....
Looks an absolute spaghetti maze of wires but I have some time to digest and work out before I get to fit it next week. the head and the mike are being delivered over the weekend , The apple play dongle and dab player are coming separately In Nov but I will probably crack on next week.(unless you suggest wait and do it all in one go)
I would agree a few wires are redundant

my biggest fear is taking the old one out without damaging the dash and dash trim. I was gonna buy the hooks for the air vents but apparently tools are included ( we‘ll see....)
i have apple play in my Volvo and look forward to pulling my a class in the 2020. your pictures were the inspiration!
Will post a pic or two when it’s in.

Great spec and sounds like a supportive seller, which is important.

Ask for factory reset code, to modify bootup sequence, and other personal preferences.

No need to wait for all the bits to arrive - I added CarPlay a year after head unit install.

I routed all the cables into, by then free from CDC and empty, glovebox - makes it easier to add / reconfigure peripherals.

One thing to remember: as your HU got DVD player, it will run hotter than a 9" screen one. Take extra care making sure there's enough space at the back for it cool down properly - keep wires away, etc, etc ... unless you've had a factory COMAND, which would've come with its own cooling conduit.

Let me know if you need any WIS files on trim removal.

Yes please , to the trim removal files. I have seen some nones elsewhere on the forum but anything you have would be appreciated

...and where did you feed the camera cable through into the interior? Is there a grommit near the boot floor that I can hijack?

Here - a few trim removal files :)

If your reversing cam is fitted in the tailgate, use one of the rubber conduits - unclip, feed wires (fishing wire and silicone spray are essential), clip back.
I bought a spare conduit, in case the existing one gets damaged, but never needed one.

If it's going to be fitted in the bumper, then you don't need anything - plenty of space / routes, just use Tesa tape and, if wire will be touching a surface, wrap some self-amalgamating silicone tape around the point of contact.

Attachments

• 169 Remove_install center console.pdf
    554.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 169 Remove_install cover on center console.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 169 Remove_install stowage compartment or ashtray housing.pdf
    188.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 169 Remove_install center instrument panel cover speaker mesh.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 11
  • W169 WIS cover below instrument panel Driver side.pdf
    321.6 KB · Views: 13
  • W169 WIS Cover Below Instrument Panel Passenger.pdf
    201.2 KB · Views: 16
Many thanks Dave . Must be getting old. Forgot it had a tailgate ....was thinking about threading through the spare wheel area . Number plate area gotta be a favourite

I will try and post some pics now its installed.

This was pretty straightforward tho the Reverse camera cause me some head scratching till I realised there were power leads on the camera which need wiring into the reversing lamp
also the radio tuner doesn’t pick all the local stations but I found some additional settings in the factory setting area And that has helped
I put the GPS aErika on the dash, between the speaker grill and windsreen Which tho visible is pretty much perfect for reception

the backlight is configurable so I’ve managed to find an orange that fits in with the rest of the dash lighting

it also plays DVDs too
It’s got a quasi merc front And matching buttons so fits pretty much 100% And looks OE. Brings the dash into the 2020s

overall very impressed for the price.
still waiting for the Apple play and DAB modules arrive pick up from China

Last edited:
Excellent result, it does look OEM.
GPS reception won't be affected by the plastic dash top, if you decide to hide the receiver under it.

The apple play and DAB modules arrived yesterday, both plug and play . Very happy with results

Great stuff. Everything looks good. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom