New B on the horizon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr.B

Car
W246
Hi guys, newbie here with absolutely no experience of washing cars – used to use the Albanian guys on the corner for a tenner in and out.

New car on the way so I thought I would start cleaning it myself for a change.

Should be picking this up soon if anyone can recommend any products - Mercedes-Benz B Class Class 200 CDI Sport 1.8 5dr 2012

As I’m new to all of this, a push in the right direction would be welcome – I don’t really want to be paying megabucks for a small tin of wax so decent items at decent prices are welcome.

Firstly I don’t want to be using a machine to polish or wax when I start so can I do this by hand? Whats the advantage of using a machine?

Secondly – I’m bewildered by the amount of products available and I was wondering if I use a wax then do I have to use a sealant and vice versa.

The products I have in mind to buy are as follows:
Autobrite HD Foam Lance and Magifoam – I already have a karcher power washer
Two buckets and grit guards
Buffing Cloths
Lambswool Washmitt
Drying Towel
Wheel Brush
Tyre Dressing Applicator
Wax applicator
Glaze – Poorboys White Diamond
Sealant – Dodo Juice, Red Mist Tropical
Wax – Chemical Guys Butter Wet Mix
Detailing Spray – Chemical Guys Pro Detailer
Tires – Meguiars High Gloss Tyre Gel
Wheels – Poorboys Wheel Sealant, Iron X and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
Glass – Auto Finesse Crystal Glass Cleaner

That’s what I’ve got in mind – however from that list what do I realistically need to use on a new car as splashing out more than £200 on that is a bit painful all at once.

Also do I just apply the wax, sealant and wheel sealant using a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease?

Finally – Apologies for the long post but I hope I will learn from the experts and enjoy my time over here.

Thanks

:wave:

Hello mate.

To be fair if you are picking the car up from new and looking after it yourself the best products you can buy are as follows:

Pressure Washer - You have already

Foam lance and foam - I use Concours Tutti Fruiit or Autobrite Magifoam. Both excellent

2 Deep buckets with grit guards - avoid the scratchguards that cost a fiver, they aren't very strong. Get the buckets from Autobrite with guards already in them. Much better quality.

Wash Mitt - I use a Merino Wool mitt from Concours Car Care.

Drying towel - Pretty much any of the large, soft towels are fine.

Wax/Sealant - you don't need both and your choice depends on personal preference. Sealant are generally easier to use - things like AF Toughcoat and Concours Liquidshield are so easy to use and not at all fussy. They look great and have good durability. I would recommend either to someone not wanting to get into car care too deeply!

Wheels should be sealed as soon as you can using any of the propriety sealants out there. The best I've used is G|Techniq C5. It lasts a long time and means you can clean them with just your wash water generally. I wouldn't use any cleaning chemicals unless you really have to. Once sealed though if you keep on top of them you'll never need the harsh stuff! As far as wheel brushes are concerned the Envy brush set are great (the bog one in the set) and the larger EZ Detail wheel brush is excellent.

Interior wise just a regular vacuum and dusting is needed and dress the hard surfaces with something like Workstat Satin Prot - lovely, OEM looking product - doesn't need doing too often.

Tyre dressing - I like Concours Brightyre and I apply with a paint brush. Nice finish and lasts maybe 2 weeks which is about as good as it gets with tyre dressings. The Megs Tyre Endurance Gel is very shiny and sticky, it has a tendancy to sling too if you put too much on.It's not an easy product/pleasant to use.

Wax/Sealants I put on with the soft side of a tri-foam applicator. If you do go down the wax route the thinner you can apply it the better. And with any wax/sealant always do 2 coats if you can. It improves durability and ensures you didn't miss any bits! Get a couple of good quality microfibres for removing the wax/sealant. Not the deep pile ones but nice, soft, dense short pile. The deep pile cloths are for Quick Detailing and make removing hazed over wax/sealants much harder.

And as far as machine polishing goes - if you look after your car properly you won't need to do it!!

HTH

Hi Mr.B

I've asked the administrators to have a look at your username because when I click the public profile for your username the site directs me to my own and not yours.

Just in case you experience any probs.

Mr. B (space between . and B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom