New Batteries, but now no charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilL

Car
2002 SL500; '54 E270 CDI Elegance Estate; 2001 C200K Coupe
I have had a '54 E270 CDI for a couple of years and ever since I bought it I have occassionally had 'Battery Protection, Convenience functions temporarily disabled'. This could occur at any time, not often at startup but often in hot weather in traffic, but usually cleared after a few minutes.

I have been considering replacing the batteries even though the car starts fine and charging voltage about 14.4V.

Today I had a RED message 'Visit Workshop' with battery symbol, followed about 45 minutes later with another RED message 'Alternator/Battery, stop vehicle'.

Spoke to local Main dealer who quoted £164 for both main and auxilliary batteries, so collected and fitted easily.

Started car and still get RED messages!!! but now there is no charging voltage.

I plan to check connections to alternator/starter etc. but does anyone know if there is anything that may need resetting to allow the alternator to charge?

Any advice or experience gratefully received.

It could be a battery control unit fault or aan alternator issue.

A Star check is what is needed.

sounds like an alternator issue... luckily they arent that dear from aftermarket suppliers.

It might be as simple as the drive pulley not locking.

you can actually just replace the regulators on some w211 alternators, which is a cheaper option and can be done with it in situ.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now think I should have checked the voltage when running after the 'Alternator/Battery - Stop Vehicle' message, and before replacing the batteries.

I have bought a replacement regulator as suggested by 'Alps'; £67 from local MB (luckily only 1.5 miles from home). I was pleased to see it incorporates new brushes, not a commonly used word nowadays, and gave me a degree of confidence that it might make a difference.

I now need to fit it. Which leads to the next question: On an E-Class, with the 2.7 diesel, is it possible to replace the regulator unit without removing the alternator?

Also; is it normal for the Parts Manager, and receptionist, at MB dealers to say "Good-by; see you again soon!!!! or is it just me?

As always, I look forward to your responses.

PhilL said:
Thanks for the prompt replies.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now think I should have checked the voltage when running after the 'Alternator/Battery - Stop Vehicle' message, and before replacing the batteries.

I have bought a replacement regulator as suggested by 'Alps'; £67 from local MB (luckily only 1.5 miles from home). I was pleased to see it incorporates new brushes, not a commonly used word nowadays, and gave me a degree of confidence that it might make a difference.

I now need to fit it. Which leads to the next question: On an E-Class, with the 2.7 diesel, is it possible to replace the regulator unit without removing the alternator?

Also; is it normal for the Parts Manager, and receptionist, at MB dealers to say "Good-by; see you again soon!!!! or is it just me?

As always, I look forward to your responses.

Don't know for E class, but on the C class you have to be a magician to replace the regulator without removing the alternator

You will have to remove the alternator. Not tricky at all.

Before you spend any time on it. I would get it plugged in to a Star to check the BCM and to do a generator test.

It may save you ££

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom