New Battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I checked again the price for a Varta F18 Silver had gone up so no one seems to be doing it below £90 now. Do battery prices go up in winter ? I wouldn't be surprised.

I had a lead acid type on my e320 and it wasnt good enough in the winter with short trips to work.so i went with the g19 agm . £149 no more issues so far this winter.

Extortionate fitting price but good for the battery. I’d have told them I shove the service charge.

I had a new battery fitted in my E320 (w211) and I’m not convinced it’s fit for purpose. 7 days of not driving and needs a charge.

I’ve no idea what AGM batteries are but all I know is Thai aftermarket one isn’t cutting it. May head to the dealership in the new year.

AGM is Advanced Glass Mat construction if my memory is correct, performs much better than a standard lead acid battery

agm charges quicker , holds a better charge and better for shorter trips and cars with a higher output .

That's handy to know. I suspect the generic one I have isn't an AGM battery and the car just isn't liking it, especially in this cold weather.

Compared to a wet cell the AGM type battery on my bike has been a revelation. I can leave it for weeks and it still holds very close to full charge. If I measure the voltage it will only have dropped 0.05 Volts and if I put the charger on it comes up to full charge in as little as 1 or 2 minutes.

I believe one problem with our cars is the intelligent charging system which lowers the charge voltage to save fuel provided the the battery is at least 80% fully charged. In my case the net result seems to guarantee that while the car should finish a journey at least 80% charged there is no chance it will be 100% charged and this is with minimum 10 mile journeys. I charge it every weekend and it takes approx. 1 hour to come up to full charge. While an AGM would be a slight improvement in terms of the self discharge rate I still don't believe it would be 100% fully charged by the car.

When I checked again the price for a Varta F18 Silver had gone up so no one seems to be doing it below £90 now. Do battery prices go up in winter ? I wouldn't be surprised.
very true , the battery i bought for 149 is now 189 .

Has anybody changed the engine compartment battery in the w221 s320 without buying from MB

Yeah I saw mate, don't blame you. You'd think they'd divide their hourly rate into quarters and charge you according to that. Since it's no more than 10-15 minutes to fit a battery. Doesn't help they weight an absolute tonne due to their size.

Since it's no more than 10-15 minutes to fit a battery. Doesn't help they weight an absolute tonne due to their size.

In fairness it took me 25 mins but I couldn’t find my 10mm socket :rolleyes:

It was certainly heavy which is why I wanted to avoid lifting it. The good news though is my back is fine and the car starts a lot easier in this cold weather :)

In fairness it took me 25 mins but I couldn’t find my 10mm socket :rolleyes:

It was certainly heavy which is why I wanted to avoid lifting it. The good news though is my back is fine and the car starts a lot easier in this cold weather :)

Hahahahaha that’s because no one can ever find the 10mm socket!

Yeah they are ridiculously heavy. I fitted a new battery in my CLS and here’s that panic that the handles may go ping and it falls on your bumper. Then I’d cry.

Glad you’re back is ok though and the car is happy. :)

agm charges quicker , holds a better charge and better for shorter trips and cars with a higher output .

Yep and also recommended for stop/start ECO function.

Yep and also recommended for stop/start ECO function.
I wonder if anyone can help? I have a E220 CDi S212 (2012 model with stop/start) which I think needs a new battery. I have been quoted over £230 and was wondering if that is a fair price? I was a bit shocked as it seems double what I thought it would be, but I haven't taken into consideration the stop/start function. I also don't know what the actual battery I would need to look on the internet myself for one.
Any recommendations will be welcome, Cheers

Cheers guys appreciate the assistance have a merry Xmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom