New BBQ Gas or Charcoal

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by flango, Jul 20, 2013.

1. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    I need the panels help as I cant decide

My trusty BBQ has finally given up the ghost in 14 years I've only had 2 both gas and both brilliant first one was an AOG (American outdoor grill) and the one thats just died after nearly 10 years of trusty service is a Weber. Now when we go to Motorsport events I have a Weber portable charcoal and I love it I still think there is something about cooking over the coals than gas although gas is more convenient. But I am seriously thinking about going back to charcoal as my main bbq and moving away from gas but this is a good idea?

So I would welcome the panels verdict charcoal or gas, just so you can decide my bbq gets extensive use even in the winter, I need to cook for 6 people max and I do use it to roast.

So what does the panel think, Gas or Charcoal and what size and style, ranch or kettle the choices are endless

Over to you guys and TIA :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    We are light BBQ'ers, but have gone back to Charcoal. It just tastes better.

4 people like this.
  3. WG M-B

WG M-B Auhorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    C63 Wagon in black
    I personally reckon for someone like yourself that uses the barbie so often it has to be gas for convenience.

1 person likes this.
  4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I use charcoal, at the moment I am cooking on it every evening. I can't say I've actually had food cooked over a gas BBQ. It is a Weber, I use it more and more with the kettle lid on and the food cooking in the centre with the charcoal on either side, finishing things over the coals if required. It is not as hot as a tandoor but with the lid up the effect is similar as it is still fiendishly hot. There is definitely less faff with gas though, although I have lighting it off to a fine art, and 20 minutes is normally enough with lump charcoal to get going. I just time around that, not an obstacle to most prep.

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Buy a house and proper cooker instead of living in a caravan. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Nothing wrong with my tin tent :bannana:

7. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Its the start time that worries me if I go back to Charcoal, 10 minutes on gas and you are ready to go, but if its only 20 on a charcoal I could live with that, do you use a starter chimney for the coals?

I've also been looking at "The big green egg" :D

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    To save time, cook your food on the exhaust manifold on the way home.

9. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Thats how you keep your food warm on mine sites while attending to breakdowns, into a metal container and place on exhaust manifold of diesel generator :D Either that or on top of the big sunglow diesel heaters

10. Charles Morgan

Car:
    I have a big green emotion about the big green egg, owned by two insufferably smug friends, and I'm not giving them the satisfaction or the retailers £800. However, it is a b lood y good BBQ!

I don't use a starter chimney, I use very thin kindling from chopped up fence panels with thicker wood on top then smaller charcaol which gets it flaming exceptionally quickly. It matters less using indirect grilling if there are some cooler bits - the temperature is still phenomenal.

I'll time it tomorrow as I have some tandoor chicken marinating.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  11. W4E300

W4E300 Active Member

Car:
    CLK 350 Sport
    Perfect timing. Just 'gone back' to charcoal after 10 years of gas bottled and it's brilliant. Tastes so much better, the 'event' of cooking outside is back and I don't feel like I'm 'flipping burgers' in a van at the roadside anymore....

Bought a big Weber with a starter chimney, which gets everything going in 15-20 mins with just a few scrunched up pages of the local rag - no lighter fluid or blocks to stink the neighbourhood out - and it runs at 200 deg C for an hour on a single load of charcoal. Soaking wood chips of all different kinds adds so much to the overall fragrance of the day and really adds to the taste of good food.

We have 10 for lunch tomorrow and the 3Kg of Moroccan lamb is marinading - can't wait. Get a digital thermometer with a remote handset - it just 'beeps' when the grub's ready .... I'm making a signal booster that will reach the local pub.....!

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

3 people like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    I know what you mean about the BGE but even at the price if it lasts 10 years its less than £7/month

I'v only had 2 in the last 15 years and they wern't cheap but have certainly lasted, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

13. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    At the moment I'm leaning to a charcoal Weber, which model did you go for and did you go kettle or ranch style?

14. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Our caravan has an external plug-in gas point so for speed and convenience we use a gas barbie when we're away in that. Charcoal at home; we use a simple steel chimney thing now to get the coals going quickly. Can't say I notice any difference in taste between the two, but then maybe I'm simply a philistine!

1 person likes this.
  15. Charles Morgan

Car:
    Looking again, that £800 is just the start!

I'll let my Weber run its course and hope by then one can get them more reasonably.

It is a very good idea though.

16. W4E300

W4E300 Active Member

Car:
    CLK 350 Sport
    Kettle - great for smoking stuff and you can get the pizza oven thing to go on top too......!

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

17. swannymere

swannymere Active Member

Car:
    1994 S124 E300d
  18. OP
    OP
    flango

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
  19. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    Failing that, we are converts back to charcoal.

Yes, it's not as convenient but it doesn't take that long to heat up - and the smell and taste are miles ahead of gas...

1 person likes this.
  20. Neiltodd

Neiltodd Active Member

Car:
    c63 amg estate
    real charcoal for me

Tags: