New Boiler Cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dryce

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
BG quoted a friend for a new combi boiler for a small bungalow.

She has four quotes - all inc VAT:

Local company (a) £1200 ish (Vokera boiler + 2 year guarantee)
Local company (b) £1600 ish (Ariston boiler + 5 year guarantee)
Local company (c) £1800 ish (Worcester Bosch 28i)

Now BG are offering £400 boiler 'scrappage' and quoting for Worcester Bosch 28i and including 1 year Homecare.

How much would you think? After 'scrappage'.

(Hint. My guess was fairly cynical and was still too low).

BG quoted a friend for a new combi boiler for a small bungalow.

She has four quotes - all inc VAT:

Local company (a) £1200 ish (Vokera boiler + 2 year guarantee)
Local company (b) £1600 ish (Ariston boiler + 5 year guarantee)
Local company (c) £1800 ish (Worcester Bosch 28i)

Now BG are offering £400 boiler 'scrappage' and quoting for Worcester Bosch 28i and including 1 year Homecare.

How much would you think? After 'scrappage'.

(Hint. My guess was fairly cynical and was still too low).

Sheesh, I wish someone would take my old boiler away for £400. :D

I'd say BG would charge £2900 after the £400 allowance.

I'd say BG would charge £2900 after the £400 allowance.

You're less cynical than me.

I reckoned on £3000.

Actual quote was a bit over £4000 minus £400 for 'scrappage' so £3640 all in.

Their quote is printed on several pages in colour with lots of words about energy and stuff and loads and loads of items listed which amount to - as far as I can tell - a boiler, a system flush, and 1 year service.

You're less cynical than me.

I reckoned on £3000.

Actual quote was a bit over £4000 minus £400 for 'scrappage' so £3640 all in.

Their quote is printed on several pages in colour with lots of words about energy and stuff and loads and loads of items listed which amount to - as far as I can tell - a boiler, a system flush, and 1 year service.

I've heard varying stories about the system flushing. Doesn't the chemical used cost a mere £30?

I can't remember the exact details, but we had British Gas carry out some electrical work in our house and somehow they damaged a cable in the wall in the dining room.
Most of our walls are painted plaster so their offer to channel out the wall to replace the damaged cable was declined. Now we have just the one light switch for that room. :rolleyes:

My first house had no heating. local quotes at the time ranged from £2000 to £2500 for boiler / rads and fitting.

BG came round and quoted and I'm sorry to say I laughed out loud when the bloke works it out and says £8500 !!!

So I'm not supprised they are more

A few months ago I had a combi boiler changed in my flat. BG also wanted £4k.
Local CORGI man did a Bosch for £1600 inc. the radiator flush and a water-softener.
Still seems expensive to me.

What annoyed me with the BG man is that he turned up in a new BMW 5-series. He was never going to get my business even before he stepped through the front door.

Recently had a quote for a Worcester Bosch 38cdi from a local independent (it might have been a van or something) plus system flush and thermostat, plus a 5 year guarantee as a special offer. £2200. I reckon a little negotiation would get that down to under 2k.

Something has to pay for all the advertising and the senior management salaries at BG. Shame to this day people still think that they are the gas board.

This is interesting. One of my jobs for today is to get a quote for a new boiler for a clients office. The old one, (which is not that old...) has been a consistent pain for a few weeks and everyone is now open to just replacing the damn thing.

Client has already asked BG to quote, and seemed dubious about getting a quote from a local firm. I'l look forward to comparing the resulting quotes...

Similar experience with BG, so not surprised at your prices Dryce. We recently installed a boiler and full central heating at my sons house. BG were almost 2x the cost of the nearest competitor, all of whom were corgi registered.

Ebay?

boiler combi | eBay

I have a Potterton which eventually suffered from their know PCB fault. I found a complete, matching, much newer boiler for £38 within 10 miles of me which had had it's PCB replaced with the £220 upgrade a couple of years earlier. Works like a charm + I still have everything else as spares.

I've heard varying stories about the system flushing. Doesn't the chemical used cost a mere £30?

I'm led to believe all of the quotes included a flush.

So BG were not really offering anything extra.

Unless your boiler is beyond economical repair, I would advise against replacing.
I replaced mine in the belief that I would be upgrading my unit - and have had nothing but trouble since (four adjustment call-outs, and noises and pipework knocks everywhere).
I wish I had read the following article BEFORE I went ahead. If I had, I wouldn't have bothered!

Central heating break down in the big freeze? Here's why... | Mail Online

:dk::dk::dk:

^Agreed. My oil boiler is probably 30 years old. It had a new burner fitted in 2000. This year after the summer, it would not turn on. So I removed it thinking to replace it. But, I got my screwdrivers out...stripped it, rebuilt it and now it works...no parts were fitted.

Everyone tells me it's inefficient. I don't see why. It's only a water jacket and a burner. The jacket will not wear out. the burner can be replaced. As long as the burner is serviced annually and a new nozzle (£5) fitted, there is very little to go wrong.

I have improved the insulation value of my house over the years. Last year we used 2000L of oil, compared to an average 3500 some 10 years ago....and yet we heat a greater floor area than then. This year because of the extremely mild Autumn, we will use 1500L. So, the price has gone up by 33% but our use has come down by 25%...result.

When in doubt...insulate.

The iced up overflows was well known and not advertised. All you need do is disconnect inside and collect in a pot until the extreme cold is over. Then, when it's warmer, insulate the pipe to prevent re-occurence.

At current gas prices the boiler will pay for itself in 3 years.

My monthly gas bill in the flat was £15. BG man tried to convince me an efficient new boiler would pay for itself in no time at all. That was reason no.2 why he didn't get my business.

I'm not doubting your personal pay back period.....just the honestly of some BG salesmen.

But now I have an old oil boiler in my new place, costing up to £100/month I can see that a new boiler might be useful.

My monthly gas bill in the flat was £15. BG man tried to convince me an efficient new boiler would pay for itself in no time at all. That was reason no.2 why he didn't get my business.

I'm not doubting your personal pay back period.....just the honestly of some BG salesmen.

But now I have an old oil boiler in my new place, costing up to £100/month I can see that a new boiler might be useful.

£100, is a lot more than £15...but your new place is a lot bigger...so think long and hard, and if in doubt...insulate. Even a 50% saving would take years to pay back.

British Gas PLC " bless em" should really be renamed British Licence to Print Money with a passing interest in gas PLC . Like many traditional British companies their primary directive is now to make money and to hell with their customers. When they responded to OFGEN'S criticism of overcharging and profiteering by saying it was down to Inertia in the wholesale market , they neglected to mention that the main wholesale company supplying them with gas was ----- British Gas related wholesale division Centrica Energy . Centrica plc - Investors - Understanding Centrica - Organisation structure :rolleyes:

Advice is similar to MERCEDES servicing--- find a good independent and go with them.

When we moved I was staggered at how inefficient the boiler was in the house. It was a heat only boiler(30 year old Potterton flamingo) and the system would take about 2 hours to get up to temperature. It cost us £150 each month in gas alone last winter.

We had the whole lot ripped out and a new system fitted in the spring. Our current gas usage is about £40 per month. We only heat the water we use and the central heating is up to temperature in about 5 minutes. We went for the weather compensation control as well and apart from the claimed saving - the house is so much more comfortable.

I'm really pleased we upgraded. :)

I have an ancient Potterton too - it will be coming out when the house is re-done, but I couldn't see the point of replacing it in advance of that as I am going to be re-plumbing. Insulation is going to be upped significantly, and better radiators fitted. I haven't had a gas bill for the new house yet, but I suspect it will be horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom