New boy buying SL R107

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaleB

Car
1990 560sec
Hi all,
I'm looking to but an SL R107 in the next few weeks and have been looking around at all the sites.
Could anyone tell me which is the best engine size to go for in terms of performance, smoothmess etc.
Also when looking around a car what "bad points" should I be lloking for

Thanks in advance Dale

Nice choice of car.

500SL is considered the best after 1986 to 1989. however i have a 280SL and love it.

search ebay for Chris Bass's SL book..... a great buyers guide.

cheers

derek

I get the impression from reading many ownership experiences that rust is the main thing to look out for - mechanicals are quite tough generally and fairly easy to service/repair if needed. Apparantly they can rot quite bad underneath in places.

Probably one of those cars where it's worth paying a fair bit more for a really nice one if you're going to look after it and it'll hold it's value well, perhaps also costing less money to run year-on-year?

Will

Don't discard an earlier car, I have a 500SL 1984 and love it. Check for rust, especially in the heater where the drainage points get blocked. Love the V8 sound!
They will not get any cheaper, so depreciation should be nil for the forseeable future IMHO.

Nice choice of car.

500SL is considered the best after 1986 to 1989. however i have a 280SL and love it.

search ebay for Chris Bass's SL book..... a great buyers guide.

cheers

derek

I was thinking of a 450 or 500 but wasnt sure which way to go. I have read some reports saying the 450 is a rarer option than the 500 and will most probably hold/gain value better??

Also is the LHD 560 worth the extra money asked (I realise this is a subjective question)

Deffo not. The 450 is regarded as a 350 big brother. Not in the same league as a 500. However... My own choice would be a 300. Nice straight six engine, better gearbox, suspension and rustproofing. At the risk of incurring the wrath a 6cyl suits the balance of the car better. All imho of course.

Check for rust around the rear wheel arches, the soft top cover flanges where the seal sits, damp in the spare wheel well and under the foam N/S boot. Water leaks around the tail-lights. Have a prod around the front tow-eye O/S chassis. The rear under skirt. Lift carpets and check for damp in the footwells. This latter could indicate scuttle rust which is very serious and difficult to eradicate. Facelift cars (post 86) have front arch liners which go a long way to helping front wings not to dissolve.
If it's sold with the hardtop on insist it's taken off and examine the soft-top and the windows. If they're split it's easier to replace the compete top and that's £500+ for a decent job.

Deffo not. The 450 is regarded as a 350 big brother. Not in the same league as a 500.

Are you saying the 500 has a different block than the "smaller" 420 or 450. Just not sure why the 420 is classed as a big brother and not the 500.

On another theme .... is there a North East regular meet for this club?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd be inclined to concentrate on the later 1986-on facelift cars. Rustproofing improved for a start and it will be younger and less likely to be rotten in any event. Iirc, the suspension was also tweaked at the same time.

Whether it's a v8 or I6 is going to have to be a judgement call. Drive both if you get the chance. For cruising, which I feel these cars are all about, there's nothing wrong with the I6's. Just ask what your driving style is like.

In addition to the advice already given, check:

• Lower 6 inches for rust
  • All arches and inner wings for rust
  • Soft top compartment for rust
  • Check intake vents in front of windscreen for rust (do you spot a trend emerging? :rolleyes:)
  • Top of the windscreen alu capping for damage.
  • There should be a nylon/silicone washer sealing each of the soft top locking holes. If not, could = water ingress and... you guessed it: rust.

Mechanicals are hardy, but on a test drive, check for all the usual; smooth changes, no thunks, tight steering without slack. Hope that helps, one of the members on here bought a red one and did an excellent write-up of its restoration you can search for.
Good luck!

I was thinking of a 450 or 500 but wasnt sure which way to go. I have read some reports saying the 450 is a rarer option than the 500 and will most probably hold/gain value better??

Also is the LHD 560 worth the extra money asked (I realise this is a subjective question)

Why would anyone in the UK want or pay extra for a LHD 560 which is less powerful , and less desirable than a 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom