New brake pads for the 124 in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GP801

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK, Volvo XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro EV
Just thought I would recount my recent experience of getting new pads for the 124. Apologies in advance if its a bit long winded. One week ago whilst heading to Eurotunnel at 0330 the brake pad warning light comes on. Great timing. Brakes feel ok and likely to have 10-15% left so decide to press on. Get to Italy the same evening with no problems (hardly had to touch the brakes) and make on online booking at Grassini Pneumatici in Ponsacco. Just being able to book online here is quite an innovation in itself. Its like a giant Kwikfit or similar outfit. They do tyres, brakes and general servicing/repairs for cars, trucks and motorbikes. Equipped with all the latest equipment.
So today I turn up at the appointed hour. New pads needed all round. The old ones have done around 70,000 miles in 10 years. None in stock so one of the reception staff is despatched to the motor factor in the next big town about twenty minutes away to get the parts.
Needless to say everything is seized solid. To get the nearside rear free they had to remove the suspension arms and shock absorber.
In total the job took just over 3 hours. The bill? A grand total of exactly 200 euros inc tax. Labour was 62 euros plus tax. They were very apologetic at having to charge so much! Normally they bill for one hour to do a full set of pads but in this case they asked if I was happy to pay for 2 hours as it had taken so long! Needless to say I was very happy with this. So the usual hourly rate is 31 euros + tax. Bit of a bargain compared to UK rates.
The new pads are Bosch on the front and TRW on the rear. I understand TRW are OEM suppliers to MB and part of ZF group. They certainly feel much better than the ones that were taken off.
So there we have it. Great service at an incredible price.

Gp801 You were lucky to get away with such a small bill . I wonder what it would have been over here in blighty ...an arm and a leg I was lucky a few weeks ago i posted a picture of my dream car in a comp on an USA Mercedes furum and i won a set of EBC front brake pads for free .I told the guy running the comp to pass it on to someone in the USA because i lived in the uk ..To that he said we have branches throughout the world . Asked for my address .And they came in the next few days --i was lucky .

I was prepared for a much larger bill. Even using my usual trusted Indie it would have been a lot more and as for a main dealer who knows. Main dealer rates here are at a similar level to independents in the UK. Also there are many MB official repairers who don't do sales so don't have a swanky showroom to support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom